The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
7 members (Shade Baby, Pete1946, frogfarmer, baldeagle, 1955 1 Series, Jon G, 1 invisible), 97 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,106
Posts1,056,213
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#61993 06/21/2006 2:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 399
Does anyone know the pipe diameter of an early inline 6 Corvette?

The Corvette has 2 single pipes to the back, each on every sider right?

That means that the one pipe that goes over to the passenger side is about 25% longer right?

I learned that pipes on a split exhaust must be the same lenght.

Any pros or cons?

Thanks, Frank

Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
C
ODSS President
ODSS President
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 1,424
Can't help you with your questions Frank but have you considered using an 'x-pipe'?


~ Cosmo
1949 Chevy Half Ton
Rocinante, like Don Quixote, he is awkward, past his prime, and engaged in a task beyond his capacities.
"...my good horse Rocinante, mine eternal and inseparable companion in all my journeys and courses." ...Don Quixote, Cervantes
"If you come to a fork in the road, take it."...Yogi Berra
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength." ...Eric Hoffer


Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
On the '53-'55(early) Corvette the pipes ran on both sides. The front pipe actually crossed over in the front of the engine, rather behind it. This was due to space constrictions in the 'Vette chassis. I beleive that the pipes were 2". I'm running Fentons on mine with the pipes on both sides (crosses under the tranny), I haven't noticed any problems with performance. I don't beleive that there is enough difference in the length to hurt anything.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Dec 2003
Posts: 510
I'm running unequal length pipes with split headers (maybe 4 inches overall difference) in my Bolt without any problems. I've never heard that that the pipes HAVE to be of the same length.

Some older US V8s (Oldsmobile is one, Chevy in some instances) have used exhaust manifolds that have the headpipe connections in different locations on either side of the motor. I had a 71 Cutlass like this. But I added dual exhaust and glasspacks (what else?) and it ran great. It really woke the motor up when I got rid of the stock single exhaust. Well, is sure sounded like it, anyway. smile


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0