Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,268 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 | Anybody used Nanco brand bias ply tires and have an opinion? I'm looking for 600-16 bias ply tires and these seem to be the most affordable. I only plan on driving 3-4 miles each way at a time? Thanks | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Cheap import trailer use tire. I would not advise using them, as trailer spec tires are not suitable for vehicle use. You might want to take a look at Denman, which still makes the old style bias truck tires similar to what would have been OE. Denman Tire
Last edited by LONGBOX55; 02/05/2010 4:30 AM. Reason: link added
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 | I have 600-16 BF-Goodrich blackwall tires on my truck. Quite expensive, but American made. They are the correct brand and have the original tread pattern for a late 30's to early 50's truck. I like them a lot and I use them at 60 mph on the interstate and in the rain and I don't experience any of the problems said to occur from their(bias ply tires) use. | | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | your BF Goodrich might have been made in the US, but the brand is now owned by "Michelin tyre manufacturing company of France" - same for Uniroyal  Bill | | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 | Well, at least they weren't recalled like those Chinese Nanco tires. Also I believe they are manufactured by Coker tire and that they just license the name so we can have the original brand.
Last edited by kingisomer; 02/05/2010 6:18 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2005 Posts: 1,107 | i have nanco 7.00x16's on my 40 all the way around. i dont care for the origin of manufacture but if you took the name off you wouldnt know any difference. i put trips up to 350 miles at times and you get on a good road it doesnt feel like your riding in a truck until you hit the first bump in the road. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 Ex Hall Monitor | | Ex Hall Monitor Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 6,377 | I thought about using nanco tires on my 38 but decided against it because of the quality problems with chinese tires. I decided my 38 (and me) are too valuable to trust to cheap tires of questionable quality.
Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet. The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion. Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 | Thanks for the opinions but I've been informed that the Nanco are discontinued anyways now. So I will continue searching. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Hey Bill, maybe you can clear this up for me. I’ve heard that before, the part about passenger tires and trailer tires. I’m my mind a failure of a trailer tire is a heck of a lot more dangerous than one on the car. I’d hate to be towing a trailer at 70 mph and have a tire separate from the rim. A car and trailer whipping around is a bunch more trouble than just trying to keep a car inline. So as I’m typing I’m answering my own question as I often do during composition. It’s not as I was thinking, that is in the ability of the tire to carry the load with out failing, but in the handling because of the construction and compounding differences. I found this online and it best explains those differences. http://www.taskmasterproducts.com/acatalog/whybuytrailertires.pdf Ok, thanks Bill, you’ve gotten me back on track once again. Jon, did you get your tires from Coker? I put a new set of Power King, Premium Super Highway bias plys on my 3600 when I first brought it home. Every time I drove the truck for the first 10 or 15 minutes at the beginning of a drive they would literally shake your teeth out. At times I thought it was actually going to shake something loose in the front end. Worst riding tire that I’ve ever had on a vehicle, the switch to Cooper Radials was the best thing I’ve done to the truck since I bought it. Not completely original and I had to update to a ’70 C-20 rim but 95% of the people that see them can’t tell the difference. Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 | Denny, yes I did get them from Coker. I notice absolutely no shaking associated when first starting out even after its sit for a month. The worst I can say about them is they have slightly lest traction on wet roads so you may need a little more space for quick stops when its raining. | | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | Thanks Jon, I think I brought this up once before, but I've been driving and working around cars from back in the mid 50's. I rode on a lot of bias ply tires, my first ride on a radial tire was a set of Michelins on a '75 triumph TR6 I'd bought new for my wife. I remember some bias plies having a very slight thump after setting over night. But I never saw any that were as bad as those Power Kings. DG
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 6 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Jan 2010 Posts: 6 | I needed new tires for the front of my 48 3800,so I asked my local tire guy about some 7 50 17s,USA made. Yep, Can get some Power Kings. They are USA. So taking his word for it (and he probably did think so) I ordered them. After mounting one onthe truck, I laid the other on the floor and saw the tiny made in china in the flange. Well crap. Not wanting to waste all my time, I decided to keep them. They ride like my Granddaughters plastic wheeled wagon as I pull her up the gravel road. Wish I had seen this topic before I lost my Christmas money on this chinese junk. | | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 | The company with the Nancos contacted me as he found four more ($62ea w/tube.) But after the feedback and researching this topic back some, I guess I'll fork out more for radials. If I did my research correctly I think I can go with 215/85r-16 on my stock '48 16" rims? I will only be driving 5-10 miles and the bias plys will only be just warming up and I live on a gravel road so I'm thinking I will hate the ride. | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | I'm running 215/85r-16 T/A radials on my '54 GMC with 6" wheels. I'm happy with them. You probably have 4" rims. It might be hard to find someone to mount them on 4"ers. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 54 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 54 | I've been running 700x15 6 ply Power Kings on mine. When I was driving the truck on a regular basis, I never noticed any shaking or bumping and the ride down the highway was nice and smooth. Last time I was home, though, the truck had been sitting for several months, and even though I drove it every day for a week I never could get the ride smoothed out again. | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 502 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 502 | I notice the bumpy ride at first on my bias ply hwy tread tires on my 3600 and my 3100. But it maybe lasts about 1 minute then goes away. Even in the winter time. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 | Hi, briank, I installed Coker classics 650-16 white walls on my 49 1/2 ton about 2 years ago. I have had no problem with the tires thumping ( about 2000 mi.)but I must add that my truck had 3/4 or 1 ton springs in the back and worn out front springs up front. ( Front springs would bottom out and rear would kick me in the [censored]). I have now installed good springs front and rear. The truck will be on the road in about 1 month, so I will update at that time.
Last edited by hippy; 02/20/2010 4:32 AM.
Keep the 216's running. 1949 1/2 ton model #1314 (US 3104) Brian
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2007 Posts: 173 | The bias ply tire on my big truck get flat spots too, they go away in less than a mile. Then on smooth roads its a pretty smooth ride... | | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 | Where was that Denman comment when I forked over a criminal amount for my stupid firestones?!?!?
Dave
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 9,671 | He was right here and has been tellin' that same story since 2006, question is, where were you Dave??? Denny Graham Sandwich, IL
Denny G Sandwich, IL
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Apr 2008 Posts: 203 | Searching google and getting nothing as usual...
I'm starting to put quotes around every word just so they won't exclude them in the search.
By the way, I bought the tires from Jim Carter's store and sent them back. Not that it's Jim Carter's fault, they just weren't the same measurements as advertised on Specialty Tires of America's website. They looked like car tires. Just a warning for anyone.
Jim Carter, please sell the 7.5x16's.
Last edited by GMCdp; 02/10/2010 4:40 PM.
Dave
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jul 2008 Posts: 176 | Half ton trucks used car tires, at least from the thirties to fifties. | | | | | Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 433 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2009 Posts: 433 | I looked at the Nanco tires 6.50 X 16... They wanted $ 120 with tubes each... They looked alright but for about the same money I can get a set of LT215/85R16 radials... The Denman Tire distributor in Sacramento did not have what I wanted so they sent the Nanco tire up to my local tire shop for me to look at...
1954 Chevy 3104 3 Window Hydra-Matic in my family for over 60 Years
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right... "Scarlet Begonias" Grateful Dead 1974
| | | | | Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jun 2009 Posts: 118 | Healingbear, thats expensive for Nanco. Go to ebay and look up Gearworks, they sell all kinds of tires......the cheapies to the good stuff. I think 6.50-16 Nancos on their ebay store were $156 w/ tubes for a pair (or close to that) | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 202 | Hi, just got the truck on the road 2 weeks ago and no noticeable tire thump up to 65MPH with patricks 3:55 ring and pinion set.
Keep the 216's running. 1949 1/2 ton model #1314 (US 3104) Brian
| | |
| |