The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 99 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#617424 02/06/2010 9:10 PM
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
F
'Bolter
'Bolter
F Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 256
I have a 58-62 235 in my '53, and I can't tell if the rear main seal is leaking. The oil pan gaskets were dried out, so I haven't been able to rule that out yet.

I have only run the engine once, and have been noticing oil drops near the rear of the engine on the garage floor. The clutch etc arn't installed.

http://i45.tinypic.com/2zgvzhw.jpg
Heres a picture of the back of the engine.

Where exactly would I be leaking if it was the rear main seal? On the face it is clean, but in between the two bolts it is oily.


Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
If the rear main is leaking oil will be coming out around the circumference of the crankshaft. I'm sure you had a flywheel on it when you ran it. If all the bolts where not in & tight oil will come out the bolt holes.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0