The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (MRMEROTH11, Charles in CA, 1 invisible), 152 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,279
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
It ran fine for half the morning.

Made a coffee stop and when I tried to re-start, smoke came out of the starter...
The battery cables where super hot, too...

I took the starter out and had it rebuilt, thinking I fried it. I recharged the battery, re-installed the starter, new (thick) battery cables and... nothing happens...

Not a click, not a movement from the starter.

What should I do next?
Could the regulator be involved?

Any input would be appreciated, fellas!

Thanks,
whizzerick


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 132
Need some more info: Foot starter? Key switch start or push button? Year of truck?

If it has a start solenoid, is the start wire from the switch or push button connected to the correct terminal? NO click sounds like you have a solenoid starter. If so 'no click' is definitely a solenoid, switch or wireing issue.

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
That's a bummer Rick. I'd be suspicious of a burnt contact in the starter switch. Take it off and look inside. You might be able to clean it up. Good luck.

Curt B.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
'53 half ton. 235. Foot starter...


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
Bolter
Bolter
Joined: Oct 2002
Posts: 4,066
I would also check to make sure the foot pedal is engaging the starter, the leakage might be broke or out of whack,, I am sure you have already done this but,,,,,,,,,,,the bolt on mine use to come unscrewed and the foot part would just fall off as i hit it......


Redryder pix
My Hotrod
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve - is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to The 'United States of America', for an amount of "up to and including my life."
I am fighting cancer and I am winning the fight | Pain is part of life; misery is an option.

Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
First things first, make sure you have voltage all the way to the starter. If you do, you can activate the starter with a pry bar right at the starter. If you don't, check your wiring. Especially your ground. Starters can be bench tested!

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I second MNSmith. I would add what IBHoggin said about checking the starter switch too. It's easy to remove and dirt simple. Whoever rebuilt your started should have bench tested it but unless you there watching you don't know so if all else fails I would pull it and test it.


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Jul 2002
Posts: 358
Okay, I'll try to 'jump' it...
Booster cables?
Neg to frame and + to starter terminal?


1953 Chevrolet 1300 - Daily driver
Collecting Vintage Whizzer motorbikes
http://www.whizzerick.com
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
Yep.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0