The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (MickeyP, Cletus1950, 78buckshot, Nick in Manitou), 102 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,720
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#614978 01/30/2010 6:38 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Was told by the person I bought my 53 Chevy shortbox that the engine was a 216. On the flange behind the dipstick/distributor the stamp number is c661580. Can't find anything to match that number. The head casting number is 3701887 and I found this number on a site that shows the motor to be a 1953 235. Can you drop a 235 head on a 216 engine? Vin number is 31311405992 and this came out as a 1963 on the decoder. Side pan doesnt go up over the spark plugs, two bolts ontop of the valve cover. To the right of the fuel pump, casting number is 591615. What do I hav?

RWL #614987 01/30/2010 6:53 AM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,270
Yes, you could "drop" a pre-1950 235 head on a 216 block and bolt them together (USA head and block).

Maybe someone with Canadian code information will respond regarding the codes you have posted and regarding the side covers (Canadians have posted side-cover information different from what would be the answer for USA 216s/235s).

tclederman #614992 01/30/2010 7:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Thanks, I kinda thought you could mix and match just about anything between 47-53. The truck is a Canadian made PU as the Tag states it is a GM Canada truck, also the starter tag and generator. So if there are some Canadain code information, Id appreciate the help as I cant find them....

RWL #615093 01/30/2010 5:26 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy RWL, are you sure your serial number is correct as you posted it? 31311 is a 1953 1/2 ton flat face cowl year/model number. A flat face cowl has the normal front end sheet metal, and a firewall, but that's it for the body, the customer supplies the rest. As to your engine number, I couldn't find my casting number list this morning, so I checked at Inliners International, and that casting number doesn't show up there, it probably is the original engine, the stock engine in a Canadian 53 1/2 ton is a 235, hope that helps.

3B #615208 01/30/2010 11:58 PM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Serial number is 3131405992, my finger slipped and added an extra one. As for the engine number it seemed that someone had had punched the numbers C661580 as they were not uniform in depth and not in a nice line like a manufactorers tooling. The tag on the states the engine number as the same but the aluminum tag was rivetted on and I had read somewhere that the original ones were screwed on. This truck could have been put together as you stated. Thanx for looking for me...

RWL #615252 01/31/2010 1:35 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
Here is a mention of your casting number, identidied as a 235:

http://crazy4cars.net/showthread.php?t=1832

Here is the decode for your VIN number:

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/page0396.html

If your head does not have a bulge in the casting between #1 and #2 plug and #5 and #6, then the head is the new design that goes up to 1962. This does not fit a 216.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
truckernix #615277 01/31/2010 2:46 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
There is a bulge in the plate cover below #2 & #5 but not on the head casting. So, best guess with the head casting numbers and this info it is a 53 1/2 235?

RWL #615286 01/31/2010 3:30 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
http://img710.imageshack.us/g/1953071.jpg/ another test, pictures are prob. easier to ID

RWL #615297 01/31/2010 4:09 AM
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 91
Hi, everything on your truck looks correct for a 53 canadian chev.The alum. id. tags are riveted on and your rivets are correct.In 53 canadian pickup came with the full pressure 235 with a 2 bolt valve cover. Your oil pressure guage is a 0-60 which would also be correct for the full pressure 235.Looking at your interior and steering wheel I wouldn't be suprised if 48000 isn't the original milage.Looks like a nice truck. Mike

Last edited by obrien1952gmc; 01/31/2010 4:16 AM.
justmike #615300 01/31/2010 4:16 AM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
That is a very good looking truck. Did you check out the serial number decoder that I referenced? It seems to agree with the rest of the truck.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
truckernix #615336 01/31/2010 7:17 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
R
RWL
Offline
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 14
Thanks again guys, The canadian coding shows it as a 1953 Chev. Series 1300 or 9300 with a 116 wheel base and is a pickup delivery truck. I guess the engine flange number is going to be a mystery but I guess with the full pressure gage the head casting number coding to a 235, thats what it will be. I traded my jeep for the truck off of a guy who had planned on rodding it. He had it for two years and didnt do to much to it. Tires & rims, shocks and breaks. The rest appears to be completely stock. I emailed him yesterday for some history. He bought it off the original owner who used it on the farm and later drove it in occational parade. The original paint is under that primer (green) I think even the floor boards are original. The rails in between the wood still have the original green paint. The wood I think I can just replain it a finish it back to semi original. I think Im going to keep it original. (exept the 12 volt) Thanks again. It just like a treasure hunt that I am really starting to enjoy....


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0