The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (TUTS 59, 1 invisible), 89 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#610299 01/15/2010 4:12 PM
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I cut the orginal frontend off my streetrod last winter. I installed a '84 'vette frontend from eBay with custom artillery wheels with standard offset. When it was all said and done in order to keep the tires from rubbing the fenders in a tight turn I had to mount 215 tires instead of the 235s I planned on. Now the front end is lower than I want. I would like to get it up 2" or so. A guy told me to put 3/4" pieces or teflon or nylon between the end of the monoleaf spring and the lowere a-arms. Does anyone know if this will work or have another way? Thanks


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Most suspension kits that use Corvette stuff switch the front to coilovers. If yours is still the monoleaf the standard way to raise and lower the front of a Corvette is to change the links between the monoleaf and the arms. A lowering kit for the front of a C4 Corvette costs like $20 new.

I'm not sure the way you describe will raise the truck, but if you study that suspension changing those links is the way to make small changes in height.

Last edited by OldSub; 01/15/2010 4:21 PM. Reason: More thoughts

1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 769
I am not familiar with the 84 vette front end with the mono leaf, but during the 60s I would turn a spacer, for each side of the rear leaf, out of aluminum for the rear of the corvette to raise the rear end. If the setup is similar, it should work the same.

Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Like Steve said, change the links, or go to coil overs.


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
I have tried and failed to get my 3/4" thick blocks between the lower A-arm and the monoleaf spring. I solved the problem of the jack sliding up the spring as it was being jacked up (wooden blocks, rubber strips, and c-clamp). The stopper came when after getting the spring about 1/4" off the A-arm pad, any additional up force on the jack caused the car to begain to rise off the jack stands. Other than putting a brace between the top of the frame rail and a rafter in the garage, I'm out of ideas.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Wrap a piece of chain under the jack, loop it over the frame and hook it into itself. That puts all the pressure between the jack and the frame, and gets the vehicle weight out of the picture. I've straightened frames that way.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by beltfed
any additional up force on the jack caused the car to begain to rise off the jack stands.
You'll have to solve that problem, probably using a jack and chain as suggested above, to get the distance you need, but this problem itself proves you can raise the ride inserting a block in the suspension.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Hotrod Lincoln. Thanks as that is something I had not thought of. But, I am using a bottle jack instead of the usual floor jack due to the size of the contact surface area. What about using a short length of I-beam by putting the I-beam on the floor then placing the jack to top. I could weld a couple of eyelets or plasma cut some holes for the chains.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,814
Sounds like a plan- - - -just be sure and get everything aligned straight before you start putting any serious pressure on. Flying jacks and chains can get deadly in a hurry! There's nothing like watching a 20-ton bottle jack launch itself across the shop and punch a cinder block out of a wall to get everybody's attention! I've seen that happen during a frame straightening job at the family shop back in the 1950's!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
Uhhh??? Where did I put my "chicken plate" (flak jacket) from my old army days? Thanks.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 1,624
SUCCESS! The nylon plates are now between the spring and the lower A-arm. I was not able to get the 3/4" pad into the gap so I end milled 1/4" off to make a total thickness of 1/2". Hotrod Lincoln was right.... there is a lot of engry being applied to everything as you are jacking the spring up. I was somewhat uncomfortable putting my hands into the middle of two chains pulled tighter than 'Dicks hatband'. I don't know what I've gained in ride heigth yet as I still have the car on jackstands. I pulled the rear springs to de-arch them 3". Thanks to everyone for the great help.


Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by beltfed
SUCCESS!
Always happy to hear that word!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
S
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
S Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 77
Several years ago I was involved with autocross racing and used a big block corvette that I installed a monoleaf suspension kit into front and rear. Car was a 70 model so I removed the coils from the front. Long story short-- contact a company in Florida called VETTE BRAKES and talk to them. They built me a monoleaf to hold up the big block .Great people to work with.


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0