Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (DHedrick, WarEagle1),
103
guests, and
3
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,087 Posts1,056,375 Members48,442 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 | I'm looking for a site or sites that would have some good info on the 8v71 and 8v92. If someone could point them out to me, I would appreciate it. I've been browsing for an Astro or Titan with the above mentioned engines to see if this is something I would want. Have found a few. Even came across a '73 Titan! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | There are a few members here who play with the big rigs. Do you intend to use them as the factory intended, to haul freight, or as some sort of expensive toy? 2-stroke Detroits are fun to play with, but they're hopelessly obsolete as a commercial option. The fuel mileage is too low, and they're almost impossible to clean up sufficiently to pass smoke-emission standards for commercial use. They do have a unique sound, sort of like a chainsaw on steroids! Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/28/2010 2:00 AM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ..2-stroke Detroit's are fun to play with, but they're hopelessly obsolete as a commercial option. The fuel mileage is too low, and they're almost impossible to clean up sufficiently to pass smoke-emission standards for commercial use... Jerry Yes, fun to play with. But I take offense to the other bits  Not obsolete, I think we'd all be surprised by the number of Detroit two cycles still running and making money today. As an example a friend of mine runs a big farm and was recently tasked with finding a tandem axle tractor to haul their product, first on his list was as new a truck as he could get with an 8V92T DDEC, and looked at several mid to late 80's trucks. But not a happy ending... for only a few thousand more they bought a nice 10 year newer KW with a big cat.. Detroits may not keep up on the road with new trucks, but I would say far from obsolete, and the later model 2 cycle trucks seem to hold value better than somewhat newer trucks without two cycles. In fact the military still buys new ones and plans to through 2050! . and another article about new military two cycles. About the almost impossible to clean up emissions.. Not entirely true, Have a look at this solutionThe contact person listed on that site, Don Fairchild, frequents the Detroit Diesel Yahoo group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/DetroitDiesel/I expect you'll find a lot of your answers on Detroits there. Also look at this site for Detroit info http://www.4btswaps.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28Grigg | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | There is not much information out there since Daimler Benz completely ditched all support of the Detroit 2 cycle engines. There are lots of forums out there discussing the 2 cycles. However some information on forums is correct and some not. Every Motor's truck manual that was printed until about 1990 will have a good section on Detroit Diesel. These appear on eBay all the time as other literature about the 2 cycle Diesels. Since there are no OEM parts made any more, it has been kind of a dead subject. Aftermarket parts are still available. As far as the cabovers, they are still around. There is one here in town that is used as a haul truck for equipment. However, not many of the cabovers survived. Even though they were produced for 20 years, they never had much market share and were mainly purchased by fleets that scrapped them when they were done with them because they had such low resale value.
Last edited by crenwelge; 01/30/2010 7:05 PM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ...Daimler Benz completely ditched all support of the Detroit 2 cycle engines. There are lots of forums out there discussing the 2 cycles. However some information on forums is correct and some not... ..Since there are no OEM parts made any more, it has been kind of a dead subject. Aftermarket parts are still available... In that press release link in the first quote you can find ...explained MTU's director of defense sales, Tedd Grulke. "We have a long-standing history of dependability and support for our country. The Army has stated that it plans to keep 2-Cycle powered vehicles in use through 2050, and we want to be there to support them." MTU Detroit Diesel will furthermore be the partner of the US Army for delivering all spare parts for 2-Cycle engines.
"Our work with the military benefits both the government and industry customers alike," continued Grulke. "Given that we will have the infrastructure in place to support the 2-Cycle engines for the military, it follows that we will also be in the business to support all of the 2-Cycle engines out there in commercial and industrial use as well." I have had no problems getting genuine Detroit parts thus far, and aftermarket parts will be around for a long time to come in addition to MTU's projected support of two cycles into 2050. Detroit two cycles were not "completely ditched", nor are they a "dead subject". Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | OK, consider me duly chastized! I've pulled thousands of tons of freight up and down the road behind an old Detroit 318, and the last heavy-haul wrecker I drove was on a GMC Astro 3-axle with an 8V-92T engine. When the full-electronic Detroit 60 was introduced, it pretty much spelled the beginning of the end for the 2-stroke engines as freight haulers. Yes, they can still fill a niche for certain types of specialty uses. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | MTU is a subsidiary of Tognum AG in Germany. They are a large conglomerate that builds heavy engines. Daimler did indeed pull the rug on Paccar and Navistar by removing their ability to support any Detroit engine. That leaves only Freightliner having access to Detroit Parts. Freightliner does not support the 2 cycle engines, but there are a lot of 2 cycles out there and parts are available. As far as military goes, the 2 cycles are still all mechanical which is a big plus in the remote areas of the world where we use them, they start better than other Diesels, and they are very tolerant to operator abuse. GM won big contracts to supply the military for almost 75 years which means there are a lot of them out there and I think they are probably the best suited for the job.
MTU division of Togum AG landed themselves a good deal by supporting the military. In fact if you look at their stock, it is doing better on the German DAX than our domestic engine manufacturers.
As far as feasibility to to be used in todays class 8 transportation industry, Detroit mechanical engines as well as Cummins and Cat mechanical engines have lost their place in the sun.
However, the original question was about the GMC Astro and the Chev Titan. Both of these went into production around 1968 so I feel they belong in this forum. They are trucks, they are GM and they were built before 1972. However the fact remains, very few GM built class 8 trucks built from this platform survived. Support is much more difficult to find in the trucking industry since Daimler got out of the picture.
I'm not sure how relevant military engines, industrial engines and trucks of the 80's are in a forum aimed at pre 1973 trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 . | | . Joined: May 2005 Posts: 8,878 | ..As far as military goes, the 2 cycles are still all mechanical which is a big plus in the remote areas of the world where we use them, they start better than other Diesels, and they are very tolerant to operator abuse...
I'm not sure how relevant military engines, industrial engines and trucks of the 80's are in a forum aimed at pre 1973 trucks. The two cycles being built brand new for the military today are actually electronic engines, not as electronic as a modern engine, but not entirely mechanical either. I brought up the military and newer engines to illustrate their continued use now 10 years after we as civilians bought our last new two cycles. And to show they are not entirely obsolete, or even as close as some may think, and to show that parts are still readily available. The guy is looking for support and encouragement for his Detroit dreams. This thread started out on a down note, and not entirely true or well deserved. I'm just trying to cheer things up and encourage our fellow stovebolter that wants a Detroit and is curious if he can get parts and info. Grigg | | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 | Thanks to all for the replies. It would be for pure enjoyment. Most of the trucks I've seen for sale have not been what I would consider expensive. That's what drew me to owning one. But it's not like buying a classic car either. I've loved the Detroit sound since I was a small boy. I'm 48 now. So I'm toying with the idea of owning one. I have stumbled across videos on You Tube of Detroit powered trucks submitted by their owners. To me nothing sounds better than a 8v71 or 8v92. And I've always felt that way. By the way, Grigg, I saw your videos of the '48. Very nice.
Last edited by kwf; 01/29/2010 6:55 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,826 | The trucks will be pretty inexpensive, since it's pretty much of a given that you'll be buying a ragged-out road tractor with a bazillion miles on it before being put out to pasture. If you can find one with a fairly low-hour reman engine that's got some lfe left in it, you'll still need to give it a thorough check-out for stress cracks in the frame, broken spring leaves, worn spring shackles, transmission issues, brakes, and drive axle problems. A major repair on any of these running gear items can get deep into your pocket in a hurry. Jerry
Last edited by Hotrod Lincoln; 01/29/2010 3:57 AM.
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 Camp Commandant | | Camp Commandant Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 | kwf, there are more nice old trucks out there than you think. I have found many nice trucks and have bought 3. I just sold my '72 GMC 9500 with a 6-71. It had 130,000 original miles on it when I got it and was in very nice shape. I just bought another '59 860 with the same motor that is also in great shape. Not all old road tractors are "ragged out". You may also consider spending some time on the ATHS forum (as well as right here!!). There are folks over there that are very fond and knowledgeable of Detroits. There are couple of recent threads going on that may interest you. Hope you find the truck you are looking forward. Keep us posted. Bill | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 | I was just going to say just what Bill said. Stop by ATHS for other enthusiasts still driving these great old trucks as well as great info.
BTW, If genuine Detroit parts are no longer available it sure is news to me !?!?
Bill
'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan GMC 9500 Fan Detroit Diesel Fan
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 54 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Feb 2009 Posts: 54 | For what it is worth, Here in Utah we have a Detroit Rebuild facility. My brother in law is there (has been for years) and they are still re-manufacturing and supplying parts for the older 2 strokes. (mind you they are doing so on a military contract) but I point this out just to say that the parts and availability will still be out there. you might just have to change where you look and start looking at some military equipment in the future for parts. Just my .02 I will let the confusion continue now.... 
I am just here to learn, and to meet like minded people.
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 | Right now I'm just doing research to see if this is something I want to tackle. Like how much these things are worth, learning to drive one(biggest thing I've driven is a C65 with a 366 and a 5/2), and whatever else I need. I am a quick learner though. The driving end should take care of itself. Are there any websites that have ads for old semi tractors? ATHS, Commercial Truck Paper, and Truckpaper are the only ones that come to mind. Thanks for the help and comments.
Last edited by kwf; 02/01/2010 6:38 AM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 Camp Commandant | | Camp Commandant Joined: Nov 2000 Posts: 1,399 | How about Ebay? I look there often if for no other reason, just to see whats out there. Some times is kind of like having a truck show at your finger tips..... http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Pete...ptZCommercial_Trucks?hash=item3359c2fdcbAs far as learning to drive a big truck, thats part of the fun of owning one. The first big truck I bought was b model Mack that had a two stick transmission in it. I did not put a whole lot of miles on it in the time that it was mine but I feel like I got the hang of it fast. I have a 13spd in the 860 that is totally new to me but I'm learning..... slowly! Bill
Last edited by Bill Marlow; 02/01/2010 12:12 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 | kwf, If you buy a Detroit with a Road Ranger, rev it high and shift fast,lol. Don't forget to Double Clutch (unless you master the art of shifting w/o the clutch. I have no problem with that, but I prefer to use the clutch).
Bill
'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan GMC 9500 Fan Detroit Diesel Fan
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2005 Posts: 90 | Thanks crenwelge. I've seen that '81 Astro. That would be the truck for me but I'm sure the price is way more than I can afford. I've seen a couple of cabovers with Detroits here http://bradsclassictrucks.com/ but they are not GM. One is a '78 Peterbilt with a 8v92 and the other is a '70 Freightliner with a 6-71. I would prefer the 8v92 or an 8v71 if I were buying right now. | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 165 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 165 | Parts are still to be had, Delaney and Alph in Bakersfield Ca. still is Mr Detroit, they can still get parts, they were the people behind Tryone Malone's race trucks for quite some time. And we have several people on the ATHS board and one of the tired reps is on with us also, he loves them driptroits. | | |
| |