imakatzenjammer Greetings & Salutations,
This past fall I rescued four trucks from our farm in central Montana. Two were in a storage building and two were sitting in a coulee. I was going to pick up a 39 REO and a 29 Chevy but I was too late. Someone stole them along with a wrecked 55 Chevy 1/2 ton. I really wanted the 29 Chevy as it has been in the family since it was new.
The first trip I brought home a 1937 GMC. It hasn't run in years but my father bought it in 1947 and used it a a general purpose rig for 20 years.
The next trip I brought home a 1945 Dodge that was last used on the farm in 1974. Dad bought it when it was only a couple of years old.
Trip three brought home my baby. A 1946 Chevy. Dad bought this in the early fifties and we ran it ever since. I learned how to drive a big farm truck in this rig. I was all of 11 years old. In 1978 I blew the motor winding it too tight on a long grade. 17 year olds do stupid stuff. I now get a chance to fix my mistake.
The last trip we made was for a 1939 Chevy bought new by my mother's uncle. It has been in the family ever since. My brother restored it in 1967 when he was 15. I'll try again now that I'll be 50+.
The first thing is getting a new motor for the 46 and rebuild the truck from the ground up.
I then will tackle a 1967 K20 CST my Dad ordered in 1966. This is the first truck I drove alone. Dad put the truck in compound and pulled out the throttle. He told me to turn the key to go and turn the key back to stop. I sat on my knees and away I went. We moved trucks all harvest like that. A SWEET job for a 6 year old.
Next will come the 39 Chevy. In a few years I hope to get to the GMC. The Dodge is up for sale to get my restoration fund going. I'm even looking at a 1964 C10 with a 292.