Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | I have a chance to buy a 1966 C-10 that the guy says is the original 327 in it . The casting #'s that I can see all come back as the correct era , The engine ID ends with a YC which according to the front of the LMC catalog would be correct along with YS , YR , YH , and YD that would be correct for a 1966 truck . Could this be real or a pig in a poke and should I be looking for other signs ?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
Dan | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 55 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 55 | I have two trucks that have factory 327,s they are 2bbl engines with the script valve covers and painted green. | | | | | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | Oldwolf . The motor has a period correct 4bl cast intake and valve covers with the square in the center presumably for the 327 emblem and factory "dents" on each side of the square .
What are the years of your trucks and what does the engine Id # end with ?
Thanks Dan | | | | | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | | Oldog in Md. Unregistered | Answer to the question
YC is 327 with A.I.R. YD is 327 with A.I.R and Powerglide YH is 327 with 3-speed Automatic Trans. YR is 327 with Powerglide YS is 327 with no trans. specified | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | there was a 4gc roch used in 66 on the 327 ron | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | YC comes up as 327, 220 hp, 4 bbl carb, manual trans w/AIR, C10 application. According to my information, all truck 327s used 4 bbl carbs.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | carb used was a roch 4gc 7025125 and I do have the carb and manifold ron | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | it is all in the specs in the back of the 66 shop truck manual if you need a reference. there was a different carb for ca ron | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 69 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 69 | This is interesting. I too had read that some, if not all, 1966 factory 327 equipped trucks had 4 barrel carbs. Though I myself have never owned a 327 truck(the ones I put in don't count) I have seen several that were said to be factory and all of them were 2 barrel. But I never had the chance to check and run any numbers. One thing I wonder about was the valve covers. All of the 283 - 327 trucks I have seen had the smooth covers with the Chevrolet script. The ones Dan described on this truck sound like the ones on a 327 I pulled out of a '65 station wagon. So Dan, did you buy the truck?
TruckNut
Be kind, courteous, cheerful and helpful - And someone will take advantage of you.
"Quiting smoking is easy, I've done it hundreds of times." Mark Twain
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | let's look at it this way. was there an application, even pass cars that a 327 came with a 2 barrel in these years. there was a 250 and a 300hp and they both employed 4 brls did they not.64-66 ron | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | The only 283 & 327 hp options I am able to find for the light-duty trucks is a 175 ghp 283 and a 220 ghp 327. Where did you find the high hp information for the 327 sbc in the light-duty trucks? I was referring to passenger cars with 250 & 300hp(250 was a rochester and 300 was carter). was there an application for a 2 brl anywhere? in those years 64-66. later 327's 67-69 may have utilized a 2 barrel ron | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | '67-'68 327s show 4bbl only.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | a little broader knowledge never hurt anyone ron | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Just checked the Ultimate Guide to American V8s 1948-1976, the only listings for a 2 bbl 327 is the 235hp (full size passenger) and 210hp (Camaro) 327s sued in '69. The only other variation from the 4bbl equipped 327s are the 360 hp and 375 hp engines from '62-'65, which were Corvette Feul Injection engines.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | I think that there was also a 340 or 350 hp 327 used in chevy 2's. I can remember running against a few of them on the street back then, when I was young and foolish ron | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | so that you specialize in selling parts for these vehicles you are the only one allowed to voice an opinion. you were not the one who broought the info forward despite all all of your stacks of literature. .there has been more car engines installed in these trucks over the years to replace what was in them orig. so there a lot of different things to talk about..you may be a student of the game with all your literature,but there are those on this board who past the student part 40 years ago by working on them then and it is always the short term memory that goes first having worked on them mechanically them and being involved in parts sales for years, I have noticed discrepancies on posts of your knowledge of these things. I do often refer people to you as you have parts as I am sure others on here do these boards are more than you or I and there are a lot of opinions and topics shared within a lot of posts. the correct answer was given before the topic was expanded ron | | | | | Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2004 Posts: 1,552 | Ron:
You are obviously a wealth of knowledge regarding the '60-'66 Chevy trucks. I attempted to share my personal experience with these trucks and the information stated in the published literature. Apparently, that intention was lost in the evolvement of this thread, therefore, I respectfully excuse myself from this thread and the others, where we seem to run counter with each other.
In reply to your statement that "you have noticed discrepancies on posts of my knowledge of these things", my reply is, I try to relate my knowledge, experience and GM references in helping others learn about these trucks. For example, when I see a '60-'65 Chevy C10 truck being advertised with a factory original 327 sbc, I feel compelled to let the would-be buyer know that a 327 sbc was not available in a C10 until 1966, therefore buyer beware.
In closing, I take a great deal of pride in helping others with their passion for '60-'66 Chevy trucks and make every effort to share as much information and experience as I can, in doing so. Perhaps my sharing of information about '60-'66 Chevy trucks, comes off to some as, "know it all", but that is not my intention. | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | I think that there was also a 340 or 350 hp 327 used in chevy 2's. I can remember running against a few of them on the street back then, when I was young and foolish ron '66-'68 350 hp 327, Nova SS only, was equipped with a Holley 4 bbl.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 788 | that sounds about right. thks ron | | | | | Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2008 Posts: 319 | I bought a '66 station wagon that had the stock 327 w/ PG. 275hp with a Carter AVS carb. Engine will soon be rebuilt for my '65 C-10.
cm If you can't fix it with a hammer and screwdriver, you need a bigger hammer.1965 Chevy C10 | | |
| |