The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Guitplayer, Otto Skorzeny, Phak1, tclederman, R&S 51 GMC, Wayne67vert), 141 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,338
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#611817 01/20/2010 7:20 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 32
S
Apprentice
Apprentice
S Offline
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 32
I am planning on replacing the 235 in my 1954 1-ton with a 283 V8 that I have.
I currently have the SM420 transmission coupled with the 235, and want to mate the SM420 to the 283. I've been reading that in general the GM bellhousings for the early V8's should bolt to the SM420.

I assumed the flywheel would be different for the 283 vs the 235, but Summit lists a flywheel that's the same for both. Would the flywheels be the same for the 235 and 283? The 235 is from 1954 and the 283 is from 1958-1962. The 235 is still in the truck (still drivable) so I can't take things apart to look.

Also, IF a GM style bellhousing would fit on the SM420 and couple to the 283, then should most of the clutch parts fit and could I still use the mechanical starter?

The truck shop manual doesn't really show much on this stuff.

Thank you,
Skybum

Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
I can't speak for sure about the clutch, but the starter is a defnite no-go. You will need to go to the solenoid style V8 starter.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
3
3B Offline
'Bolter
'Bolter
3 Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 6,100
Hy Skybum, the only way one flywheel will fit both a 235 and a 283 is if it has two bolt patterns. There are two different tooth counts for the flywheels one for a six volt and one for twelve volt. As there were no V8s that used six volt electrics, you would have to switch to a twelve volt starter. Being that you have a 54, your engine rear crossmember should have the angle mounts, if it does then you can use a bellhousing from a 55B - 59 V8 truck, and all your linkage should work just fine, hope that helps.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0