The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (TooMany2count, tclederman, Gray_Ghost, 2 invisible), 85 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,386
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#608660 01/10/2010 2:33 AM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
I have been having trouble finding a replacement oil bath air filter for my 66 c10. the one that is currently on the truck is a K&N and it is so old, the material inside the housing is falling apart. I have been emailing K&N tech back and forth for a while now and they dont have anything that would work. Do you guys know where I can get a replacement oil bath air cleaner?

thanks

Jordan


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
anyone? 21 views and no replies? surely somebody knows something about these type of filters


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 841
if it's a true oil bath unit why not use oil like it was made to? if it's a paper filter i would take it in to any parts shop and they should be able to find one that will work at least temporarily. my hudson has a wire mesh unit that can be cleaned and reused. i have had other trucks that just used oil and oil only on a oil bath unit. i think oil bath units work well and no need to buy anything except sae 30. i'm sorry, i see k&n all over the place and i know they are suposed to be important or something but i know nothing about them, good luck!

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
it does have the wire mesh that is incased in a round metal cage that sits in the oil. the mesh is whats falling apart. when I take it out, I can sometimes pull strands of mesh out of the filter. also while speaking of that, is it normal for the filters to loose the oil? I have to add to mine on a regualr basis.


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 18
I have one of those filters too. I also have an
sales brochure from 1965, it shows the typical
filter, the one with the long air spiggot like on
my 62 Invader and my 63 Nova (I used to have).

Is the oil bath filter correct? Luckily my mess
is still good. I have an owners glovebox manual
coming, maybe it will tell me about how often
you need to add as I have never dealt with this before
either. My manual otta be here this week or next.
I'll post any info

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
thanks. My oil bath filter is just a round metal piece that sits on top of the carb with a wire mesh insert and it sits in motor oil and then the top goes on that


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
1
New Guy
New Guy
1 Offline
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 41
i just bought a 62 recently. i had never seen an oil bath filter. the guy at dan's classic auto parts in portland oregon had one on the shelf that he showed me to explain how it works. maybe it'll still be around. i'm guessing you'd have to top em off with oil every once in awhile, as when i checked mine it was bone dry....

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
^^ I agree, mine looses oil. I have to top it off a lot to keep it from going dry.


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
JDF1986,

What weight oil are you using in your oil bath ar cleaner?
What year is you engine?

The 216/235/261 engines' oil bath air cleaners are supposed to have 50 wt oil. Lighter oil might more easily migrate up and into the carburetor (requiring more frequent addition of oil).

The owners' manuals indicate no set time period between checking the oil bath fluid level and also do not indicate the amount that might have to be added (manuals state interval and amount "As Required""). I have never had an oil bath filter "dry out" if I check it at every oil change.

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 13
I currently use 10w40 oil in it. I will get some 50w and give that a try.


1950 Chevrolet 3600 runs but needs a lot of tlc its an old farm truck
1966 Chevrolet C-10 3 on the tree, 250c.i. six runs and drives. Needs restore(possibly in the next two years)
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 1,552
Oil bath air cleaners were available on the light-duty '60-'66 Chevy/GMC trucks, and more commonly found on the HD Series trucks, ie, C50, C60 & C80. I have had a few and they don't have a seperat filter, just the serrated cage with coarse steel wool/mesh as the filtering media.

I don't currently have one, but I see them from time-to-time on eBay.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0