The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Shaffer's1950, mick53, Hotrod Lincoln, klhansen, 1 invisible), 71 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,388
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#607770 01/07/2010 12:35 AM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Just thought that I would share my good fortune with everybody.
Today I picked up a 1966 C30 flatbed dually with 52k miles. It was used as a consrtuction truck for a local mason. He would leave it sitting at the jobsite holding material until the job was done. Twelve years ago he retired and parked the truck in his garage, until I came along.
He told me that a scrap man would give him $300 for the truck, so I told him I would give him the same and keep it from going into the crusher. He was more than happy to let me take it home!

It needs a little work, but definatly worth the $$$

Pics here:
http://s448.photobucket.com/albums/qq203/rwolf9653/1966%20chevy/


Randy

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Looks like a great find! What motor does it have in it?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
I haven't ran the numbers yet, but it is a straight 6. He couldn't remember if it was a 230 or 250.


Randy

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
In a 1-ton I'd expect a 250 or 292. Are the front engine mounts straight across from each other of staggered? Staggered would mean a 292.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks for the info, I will check it out tonight.


Randy

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
I checked it out and the motor mounts are staggered.... so it's a 292! Thanks again for the info.


Randy

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
7
Apprentice
Apprentice
7 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Nice Truck man!
Seems bigger than a 1-Ton...
--------------------------------------
OldSub, Could my truck have a 292 sense my truck is a 1-Ton, or did that engine come out later? (In the 60s...?)


'76 F-350 Super Camper Special (140" WB), Ranger-XLT, Fast 390 V8, 4-Speed, Gun Rack, Brush Guard, Dual Exhaust, 3.73 Gears, 10K GVW.
'74 F-250 Super-Cab (155" WB), Ranger, Rebuilt 390 V8, C6 Auto, Tachometer, Headers, '77 Grille, Kill Switch, Single Exhaust, 4.11 Gears.
'59 Chevy 38 Apache Stakebed (Not running), 235-Inline-6, 4-speed, Gun Rack, 3 Tanks, Dual Rear Wheel, 9.5K GVW & no fancy stuff.
'99 Mitsubishi Fuso 5-Ton Delivery Truck, Diesel, 4-Speed Auto, 1-Ton Lift Gate, 18FT Box.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
75F350 your '59 truck would only have a 292 if someone swapped it later.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 942
Nice truck.

The 292 is my favorite engine in a truck. I drove a '64 C-30 Stake Body just like it for 9 years. It also was a 292, 4-Speed. ...Still have it. Bought it in 1976.

Keep us posted.

Bill


'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan
GMC 9500 Fan
Detroit Diesel Fan
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
7
Apprentice
Apprentice
7 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Originally Posted by OldSub
75F350 your '59 truck would only have a 292 if someone swapped it later.
Isn't a 235, a 261, a 292 all the same block?
------------------------------
Your not very good with names at all...
But, that's ok, It's understandable, your of antiquity... grin

Last edited by 76F350; 01/09/2010 7:07 AM.

'76 F-350 Super Camper Special (140" WB), Ranger-XLT, Fast 390 V8, 4-Speed, Gun Rack, Brush Guard, Dual Exhaust, 3.73 Gears, 10K GVW.
'74 F-250 Super-Cab (155" WB), Ranger, Rebuilt 390 V8, C6 Auto, Tachometer, Headers, '77 Grille, Kill Switch, Single Exhaust, 4.11 Gears.
'59 Chevy 38 Apache Stakebed (Not running), 235-Inline-6, 4-speed, Gun Rack, 3 Tanks, Dual Rear Wheel, 9.5K GVW & no fancy stuff.
'99 Mitsubishi Fuso 5-Ton Delivery Truck, Diesel, 4-Speed Auto, 1-Ton Lift Gate, 18FT Box.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by 76F350
Originally Posted by OldSub
75F350 your '59 truck would only have a 292 if someone swapped it later.
Isn't a 235, a 261, a 292 all the same block?
------------------------------
Your not very good with names at all...
But, that's ok, It's understandable, your of antiquity... grin
235 and 261 are the same basic design. The 292 is from the 230/250 series of motors. Quite a bit different.

Yeah my kids are are older than you are. Plus I'm laying in a hospital bed this week, so I have an excuse.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 8
Originally Posted by 76F350
Nice Truck man!
Seems bigger than a 1-Ton...

I have not been able to find a good VIN decoder yet for a 66 truck, but the little information that I do have is that it is a 1 ton, 2wd, cab/chassis. I would like to know the build location if anyone knows.
Vin: KC3696T1170**
My 67 and 72 were both built in Baltimore, it really does not matter, but it is neat to know.
The vin decoder at american classic trucks said it could not confirm the year, but it did confirm everything else.?


Randy

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Originally Posted by rwolf
Vin: KC3696T1170**
I understand the desire not to publish your entire serial number, but some of the older serial number schemes really do require the full number to be interpretable.

Some models of GMC there are only a handful of successive numbers in some years. In others sometimes lower numbers are from later years.

I haven't studied Chevy numbers as much as I have GMC serials.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...

Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0