The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Otto Skorzeny, Peggy M, Southerntruck, 1955 1 Series), 98 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,081
Posts1,056,319
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
In the tech tips section there is a "how to" on changing out a rear main seal. It states that by removing the bearing caps you can drop the crankshaft enough to pull out the existing seal. It does not say anything about the transmission. I tried it and could not get the crankshaft to drop. It seems to me the transmission must be removed. Can anybody shed some light on this for me? Thank you in advance,

Doug B.

Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Yes the transmission will have to be removed.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I'm thinkin' the tranny's got to come out. How can the flywheel drop when the nose of the tranny is stuck into the pilot bushing - or am I missing something?

I was at the fall show in your fair town, were you there?

edit: Dang! Cletis beat me to the punch!

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
D
New Guy
New Guy
D Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 11
Thanks for the input. I was figuring I was heading for a transmission removal. oh well, it needs paint anyway and that will make it alot easier. As far as the fall show goes are you referring to the Oktoberfest celebration? If so, I was there...both nights! Thanks again,

Doug.

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I agree with removing the transmission. I suppose if you had a really worn transmission or pilot bearing, you might be able to move the crank down a bit. I have tried both methods and removing the transmission is the way to go. Depending on your setup, it may only need to move back a few inches. On a four speed, this saves a lot of time.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,464
I was referring to the Cruise into Fall show held downtown every Sept.

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,825
I've changed a bunch of rear main seals, and haven't dropped a transmission yet. It only takes a few thousandths of drop to free up the seal enough to move. I use a couple of pry bars in the ring gear teeth, one on each side of the flywheel, and pry it down a litle, then use the screw-type tool to penetrate the end of the seal and roll it out. Soak the new seal in motor oil, roll it out into a slightly thinner shape than normal, and pull it into place with the chinese handcuff tool. Pack the seal into the slot firmly with a blunt punch, tighten up the mains, and trim the excess seal off flush with the block. Easy!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
I do it like Jerry does it. However, on a GMC, I have had them to still leak a little when I was done. I have had to try again and the next time it works. I wouldn't really call GMC rear main seals easy.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0