The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Brian Moore, panel fan), 166 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,107
Posts1,056,225
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 78
I have a 53 3100 half ton that I want to convert to a 12 volt system. My question is how do I install the 12v alternator to my 235ci engine. Many I have talked to said brackets must be fabricated. Is there anyone out there that sells some that will work? Thanks.


1953 3100 Chevy 5 window
1971 Chevelle SS
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 1,094
all of the suppliers sell them. you can take the generator bracket and turn it around, get a long bolt and a spacer, put the alternator on and mark where the holes need to be. drill new mount holes and you have an alt bracket. as for the adjustment bracket, I got one off of an old v8 and cut and bent it to fit. works like a charm. you can also get a adjustment arm from just about any parts place, look in the hurst/mr.gasket area in the store, they have a big chrome one.

It goes without saying, when you mount the alt. to the bracket, before you drill the holes, make sure you align the alt pulley to the crank pulley.

this is easy just have to think a little bit before doing anything. the reason I turned the bracket around was that way if you want to put the generator back, all you have to do is turn the bracket back around.

good luck,
tommy


Tommy
59 apache 1/2t
261 short stepside
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,644
I just put a alt. on my 216 /52-3100 and the original gen. bracket was not long enough to bolt up to both holes on the engine so I fabed one out of some 1/4 inch stock and rebent the adjuster to fit .You can get them from clasic or jim carter if you don't want to fab .

Pete

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 400
Got mine from my local rod shop for around 60.00.You also have to change the belt,mine dropped down about 2" or so,take mesurements with you unless you like to make 3-4 trips(I did).


1953 Chevy Two-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket

Be careful calling yourself a expert,because an "EX" is a hasbeen and a"SPERT" is a drip under pressure.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0