The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Mr Wilson, IHPWR, David Bush), 120 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,472
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#604968 12/28/2009 4:50 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
My first post on my 1954 3800 panel . . . .

As a new participant, I’m challenging you “one ton” folks with a couple questions:

1. Trying to replace my rear wheel brake cylinders have become a problem. I have ordered twice from major companies and received boxes marked “W18010." The actual cylinder is embossed “18034.” These do not bolt in place. If I made it work by fitting the cylinder lower, the rods to shoe are at an angle.

2. I have one replaced fender that seems to be a lighter metal gauge then the others. The replaced one is an original with old paint. Are all sheet metals the same gauge? My truck's three other fenders seem very strong.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Is the thin fender a front or a rear? I suspect its an old replacement, but don't know that with any certainty.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
The fender in question is the right front. My left front fender you can stand on, the right might dent with the weight.

Thanks for info.

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I bet its been replaced with a non-factory reproduction. It might have happened years ago, but most likely that is what happened.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
You might be better off getting your original cyliners rebuilt.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
7
Apprentice
Apprentice
7 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Did they make dually Panels?
If so, That would be awesome!
If not someone should make one!


'76 F-350 Super Camper Special (140" WB), Ranger-XLT, Fast 390 V8, 4-Speed, Gun Rack, Brush Guard, Dual Exhaust, 3.73 Gears, 10K GVW.
'74 F-250 Super-Cab (155" WB), Ranger, Rebuilt 390 V8, C6 Auto, Tachometer, Headers, '77 Grille, Kill Switch, Single Exhaust, 4.11 Gears.
'59 Chevy 38 Apache Stakebed (Not running), 235-Inline-6, 4-speed, Gun Rack, 3 Tanks, Dual Rear Wheel, 9.5K GVW & no fancy stuff.
'99 Mitsubishi Fuso 5-Ton Delivery Truck, Diesel, 4-Speed Auto, 1-Ton Lift Gate, 18FT Box.
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Until sometime in the 30's GM make 1/2-ton and 1-1/2 ton panels. I believe the 1-1/2 ton had duals. I think that cut-off is 1937 or 1938 but I don't recall exactly, and it was a little before my time.

By the time the Advance Design trucks came out GM was making 1/2-ton and 1-ton panels and they were all single wheel designs and far as I know any GM Suburban, panel, or van you see that was made after 1940 that has duals is someone's custom work.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
7
Apprentice
Apprentice
7 Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 48
Thanks man, your a walking dictionary when it comes to Chev/GMC.
But hey I am too when it comes to Ford...


'76 F-350 Super Camper Special (140" WB), Ranger-XLT, Fast 390 V8, 4-Speed, Gun Rack, Brush Guard, Dual Exhaust, 3.73 Gears, 10K GVW.
'74 F-250 Super-Cab (155" WB), Ranger, Rebuilt 390 V8, C6 Auto, Tachometer, Headers, '77 Grille, Kill Switch, Single Exhaust, 4.11 Gears.
'59 Chevy 38 Apache Stakebed (Not running), 235-Inline-6, 4-speed, Gun Rack, 3 Tanks, Dual Rear Wheel, 9.5K GVW & no fancy stuff.
'99 Mitsubishi Fuso 5-Ton Delivery Truck, Diesel, 4-Speed Auto, 1-Ton Lift Gate, 18FT Box.
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
Just so you know, I recieved the correct rear wheel cyl. from "Chevs of the 40's". They fit correctly, however they are set up for 3/16 brake lines, so I purchased 1/4 to 3/16 connectors from local auto parts store. I'm on my way to completing the brakes!!!!!

Karl

Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
I've got brakes finaly after 6 years of sitting in garage, just adjusting parking brakes now. Maybe the panel will be on the streets this year!

Karl

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Drive on over for a celebratory beer!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
Hey oldsub, I'll pass on the invite. To many miles for fist trip, thanks for idea for my fist trip out, for beers!!!!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
If you came here I'd buy!


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 40
Thanks for the invite. All brakes are working now including the parking brakes. Not test driven yet. Too cold, want to rebuild carb fist.


Moderated by  Dusty53 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0