The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
8 members (Maybellene, tclederman, RoadsScholar, DadsFirstPickup, baldeagle, MickeyP, Stovebolt48, 1 invisible), 198 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,231
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#6043 04/05/2005 7:02 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 75
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 75
Project truck is a 1955 2nd series with a 235. Original block was bad so a 1957 block was aquired. The 55 head is being used because it was already back fron the re-builder. The '57 had a oil line that ran from the the top of the oil filter to the oposite side of the engine in the middle of the head. My question is do I need this line or does the '55 block have an internal passage to feed the valve train. Any help would be grateful.

#6044 04/05/2005 8:00 PM
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
8
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
8 Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 310
They all have an internal passage to feed the rocker arms. Plug the hole with a pipe plug. It sounds like somebody before didn't know where to route the filter lines. The lines should run from the same passage the oil pressure line exits the block to the top side of the oil filter. And from the bottom middle of the filter to a passage near the middle bottom of the block. HTH.


-Tim
'51 Chevy 3104 w/'56 235, 848 Head, HEI Dizzy, Corvette Cam, Split Manifold and Dual Carter YF's
#6045 04/06/2005 2:57 AM
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 153
Bob I am emailing you a side view picture of my engine.

My 1957 block also has a line like that to the head. There is another plug behind the side cover plate by the distributor. PO said that he wasn't getting enough oil through that passage so he added the line. Maybe I got "a line"?

How can I test that passage to see if it is blocked? Maybe I have the wrong head gasket or installed backwards?

This topic has me worried about my new purchase.


1946 Chevy Half Ton
('56 235, '86 T5, '79 Camaro Z28 rear end, working on the '85 Jaguar XJ6 IFS)
1976 Margay Panther X, MC91B

#6046 04/06/2005 5:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
N
'Bolter
'Bolter
N Offline
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 223
I have seen these aftermarket (I believe), oil systems to pump additional oil to the top of the motor. Don't know if they are a good idea or not. The few that I have seen leaked and the owners generally pluged them off. Of course I would make sure that the stock oil system was working well before I did so.
Steve O


1950 Chevy 3100
261, 4 speed
Purchased 1977

1964 Pontiac Lemans Convert

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0