The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (tclederman, Greg_H, WICruiser, Peggy M), 112 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,117
Posts1,056,296
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
These gas prices are a killer in my 53 1 ton panel. Even though I've put in a T-5 and a a 4:10 pumpkin, I still am stuck at 15-16 mpg in town and about 17-18 0n the open road. I know that isn't too bad for what I'm driving but wonder if I could do better.
I have a rear end from an 89 Mazda B2000 that appears to fit but would it hold up to light highway and city conditions in a 1 ton panel? I would like some feed back on the strength of these rears. I know it is not a GM product but will save the original rear for that mythical future day when fuel prices are lower and I can go back to original. Also I'd like to put on 16' rims and tires to match the front which is original. Any thoughts? Will I loose braking power because of the smaller but more modern drums?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
4
Member
Member
4 Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 363
I wouldn't do it. I don't think you will gain much if any mileage. That truck is a brick in the wind, I think you should be very happy with 15 town / 18 hwy in a 1 ton vehicle.

Your T5 is the weak link right now, so a rear end built to handle a small truck with 120 hp might hold up. What gears are in that mazda rear? Usually the japanese truck rears are 4.10s behind a four cylinder.

What size tires are you running?

Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
N
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
N Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 887
I don't think your t-5 is a problem but I bet your mileage would improve with a better ratio in the rear, say 3:42, which would still be stout enough for a load of wood or towing, but improve your high speed rpms.

I don't know much about those MAZDA rear ends other than that they were bought by FORD some years back. Whether it'll stand up under your panel depends on what you load into your panel, if you just drive it and put the kids/dog in the back, probably okay, if you are hauling bricks, maybe not.

It'll probably be easier and safter to find a replacement pumkin with better gearing.


'51 Chevy 1/2 ton w/'62 261, HEI, offy, fentons, dual carter/webbers, t-5 & 12 bolt posi
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
What engine are you running?


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I think your mileage is already fantastic! A 1-ton doing that good is something to celebrate!

I just bought a '50 1-ton frame and running gear from a guy who drove the truck for years, but has recently used the cab on another project.

He had swapped a later 14-bolt Chevy rear under it with 3.70 gears. His comment was that with the stock 216 that rear was just too high.

What motor do you have and what gears are in that Mazda? You might not be too happy with it after the swap.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 62
Thanks for the replies! I guess I will be satisfied with what I have. As to the engine, it is a 261 that I rebuilt. It has an 848 head and is had been bored .080. I am running on 285/35/R16's. I have an HEI system with a Holley-Webber 2bbl; split manifold with dual pipes. According to the tach, it runs @1960rpm at 55mpg. You can see the truck in the gallery, 1953.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0