Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,113 Posts1,056,279 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | So I go to the local Flaps to get a couple Bosch relays to rewire my headlights('53 GMC-12volt). Kid behind the counter tells me he can't help me 'less I give him the part #s. Anybody got part #s for 30 amp Bosch relays for my application? Also, I need a D A plug for my new three wire alt. Know where a guy could pick one up? Thanks
Last edited by twotone; 12/17/2009 5:21 AM.
| | | | | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | | ZooKeeper Unregistered | 1st thing I would tell that darn kid is earn his wages & get a book out and learn how to read it, because that's the only way he'll learn anything. Part number, geeeeeezzzzzzzzz, I guess he couldn't look under Bosch relay's.... I believe I have a box of them w/the plugs, if you want one PM me....Joe | | | | | Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 591 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2000 Posts: 591 | I just bought some Bosch relays at Best Buy and Radio Shack. As you may already know, the term Bosch relay has become rather generic. Other companies make the same relay. There appear to be other derivatives of these relay types that if you go to Radio Shack for instance, you can sort through them and find one that fits your application best. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,805 | Find a real parts store, preferrably one with a counter man who shaves. These pimply-faced kids who only know how to punch a computer keyboard wouldn't make a pimple on a real parts man's butt! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 499 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2000 Posts: 499 | Go to a wrecking yard. Pop the hood on an mid '80s or newer GM. If you look in a Cad or full size Olds or Buick, you should find a dozen of them in different styles. Some are round and they also use a couple of different square styles. I like the ones mounted with plastic pull-pins. Pick ones that are wired to a fan or anything that runs full time for the higher amp ratings. In other words, look for ones with two or three small wires and two large wires. Don't worry about getting a bad one because they are very reliable. Get several. Most have their wiring diagram on them with a part number. I have had good luck finding many of the part numbers on the internet to check specs.
'67 GMC 3/4 292 4spd
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | I found part #s. I'll go down tomorrow with a box of crayons and draw the kid a picture. Thanks guys! Richard, I could spend all day in the bone yard, pickin' parts or just looking, but I don't get off work 'till an hour after they close. | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 | If it works, post the part numbers for reference!!!! Those pimple-faced kids are everywhere!
Bryan 1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | While you are knocking pimple-faced kids, how about some derogatory words for the middle-aged owners who either do not train those kids and/or who do not have manuals on hand?
I try to have part numbers with me when I buy parts, and people on this site are often quite helpful providing part numbers. Yes, please post part numbers.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats | | Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats Joined: Aug 2007 Posts: 1,859 | Tyco makes more relays than Bosch. They are also referred to as ice-cube relays. The two main sizes are 40 amp and 70 amp (although some are listed as 30 and 60 amp). the cheapest place to get them is digikey or newark, although cole-hersee and waytek have good prices as well. If you have a situation that you can not live with contact bounce, then make sure to get the diode suppressed ones.
Hella makes a really nice 4-relay gang box that you can get from any car-quest and napa - dont even try to talk to the folks behind the counter at a pep-boys, checkers, advanceautoparts or auto zone for these because they usually dont carry them, and their computer doesnt list them.
The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2009 Posts: 639 | Tyco bought out Bosch but it’s the same company making relays the same way. I ordered two 12 VDC Tyco 5-Pin Relays, SPDT 20/30A (Formerly Bosch) from Parts-express.com for $2.75 each. Part # 330-070. Napa’s closest mach cost $18.00 a piece. Part # 330-075 for a 12 VDC 5-Pin Relay Socket. $1.75 each.
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,961 | Over the road trucks use a lot of those relays. In fact they have a separate relay for the left and right headlight. Any big truck parts distributor has them. When I am through picking a cab, I let the relays go to the crusher. They hardly ever fail. I think Hella is the most common relay in over the road trucks. | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 | Hey guys, is it possible to do the headlight relay mod on a truck with the original 6 volt? Do they even make a 6 volt relay? If someone knows for sure I'd appreciate the help.
Bryan 1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 Bubba - Curmudgeon | | Bubba - Curmudgeon Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 29,269 | | | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2009 Posts: 181 | as always, thanks tclederman
Bryan 1954 3104 235 "AD" L-6 3-on-the tree
| | |
| |