The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 106 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,181
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#601632 12/16/2009 4:32 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
I bought a universal reducer with the intention of using a rebuilt 6V wiper motor in my '54 GMC. I thought it would be as simple as wiring it in line. However the instructions show six wiring diagrams using multiple reducers for different amp rated accessories.

Anyone know the amp rating of a '54 GMC wiper motor or how to determine this?

Are any of you running 6V wipers using a reducer with success?


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #601764 12/16/2009 5:26 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I suggest trying it out on the tap meant for 8 amps. Measure the voltage across the motor when it is running to see if you need less or more voltage reduction. A 6 v blower motor draws around 8 amps.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
N
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
N Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 293
Sounds about right. I think most 12-volt wiper motors run at about 4 amps, so it makes sense that a 6-volt motor runs at 8 amps.

You will want to drop the working voltage at the motor from about 13.5 volts to 6.5 volts when the engine is running, for a difference of 7.0 volts. For electricity, V=IR. If V=7 volts, and I=8 amps, then R=V/I= a 0.88 ohm resistor. I'd probably start with two 0.5 ohm resistors in series (1 ohm total) and see what happens. Each resistor needs to be rated for 50 watts.

Click here for Resistors.

This is an educated guess. Others might have better information.

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
1
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
1 Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 45
Cletis, I have similar situation with my 6V wiper motor for the 37. I'm watching this thread hoping to put all together and fix mine.

Keep the posts coming.

Jeremy


http://s925.photobucket.com/home/jeremy5756/allalbums


The only dumb question... is the question you didn't ask...- Unknown
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
After further study I have determined that a resistance type reducer would not be practical for an electric motor. A solid-state reducer such as this one is the proper solution.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0