The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Otto Skorzeny, Pre '68 Dave, BCBill), 289 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,101
Posts1,056,178
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#595561 11/25/2009 4:45 PM
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Well, I've begun restoring the ol' burb. It all started when I decided to replace the 216 with a 261. You know how it goes, "I'll just pull the motor and replace it" and then "hell, while I'm here, I might as well fix the rust on the fenders" and next thing you know the whole thing is in pieces. So I'm gonna try and post on here often to get help with the project. So here is a link to the pictures I have so far of the tear apart.
First batch of picture


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
From the beginning, most would question why you are taking it down because it is such a nice looking Suburban, but the pictures shows you what the PO did to make it look that way. Ugly looking corner cab and under the fender patches. Make sure you keep Ray Stanley in mind when you go to repair those areas. He has most of the patches that you need for this area.


JIM CARTER'S SELLS SOME OF THEM


10% off In Stock Items Through November 30th 2009
Use Code EM1109



Here's the the guy that makes them and more:

Ray Stanley
Wheelwright Restorations
92 Pine Street
Wheelwright, MA 01904
1-413-477-6467
[email protected]



Don't forget to check out Weeds' photo's, he did a nice job of documentation.

WEEDS PHOTO ALBUM


HERE'S ANOTHER ALBUM THAT WAS FOUND ON THE WEB

Good luck and keep your camera handy! pix pix pix

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
GMONIZ, I have all those guys on speed dial smile I've been doin' a little more mud doggin' and it ain't pretty. If they had spent as much time patching it correctly as they did spreading bondo, it'd look pretty nice. No kidding, 3/8" bondo on the bed sides to cover a patch. I suspected a little mud but this is crazy. Oh well it's gotta be done sometime.

Thank goodness for Ray's beautiful patches or otherwise i'd be up a creek. I think I may call him and say "send 'em all to me"



1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 934
Looks like a good project. Rewarding to clean it up, restore, and do it right your way. tom


1946 GMC Project
"Back-in-the-day Restore"
Read the story in the DITY Gallery
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
T
Bondo Artiste
Bondo Artiste
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2001
Posts: 793
Awesome project and nice photos to look over. I have used Ray's rear lower quarter panels and they are pretty nice.

Looking forward to seeing more progress.


~ Phillip
1949 GMC Suburban - 10 year project
1952 Pontiac Chieftain Convertible straight 8 hydramatic
1945 GMC half ton truck - Driver- Sold 9-15-25
1946 Chevy COE - SOLD 1-5-26 BUH BYE CHEVY!
1959 GMC Half ton long bed NAPCO
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Here are a few pictures of a little more reveal.

Fender patch


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
P
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
P Offline
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 321
Great job! There's a few great burb restos in progress. It's good to know we can all call on each other when we need to through the forum!

Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
I've removed all of the "repairs" from the driver fender and have begun removing the passenger side "repairs" as well. Lot's of spot weld to grind. I think Ray of wheelwrights produces the body panels with the bevel around the fenders. Has anyone used these? The repair the previous owner did to the fenders did much damage to the bevel, where should I begin with the repair of damage?


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
G
Master Gabster
Master Gabster
G Offline
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 1,780
Ray posts a lot on the oldgmctrucks.com page. He is also a member here and has sold lot's of panel patches. Several years ago, I sent him the rear cab corners for patterns and a few other guys have provided him with other patterns.

Here is a post from him regarding patch panels and how they are installed. You may have to join if you are not already a member.

INSTALLING RAY'S SUBURBAN/PANEL REPAIR PATCH PANELS



INSTALLING THE REAR STEP SILL REPAIR PANEL


Here's his shop that Rob English took pictures of. Rob has done to OLDGMCTRUCKS.COM as John Milliman has done to the STOVEBOLT.COM. They are like brother sites, sometimes brotherly rivalry but brothers still the same. Both excellent sites for us to learn and enjoy!

RAY'S SHOP

I will check with Ray to see if he can put together an informational page for stovebolt fans too.



Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
That is almost a mirror image of my problems. I'll be giving Ray a call soon. I'd love to check his shop out myself. That's cool.


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
Hey Corey,are you doing this work yourself ? Are you going to keep it red ?


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
1
'Bolter
'Bolter
1 Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 217
Well, I'm taking it apart myself smile I hope to do most of the work myself as well. I've yet to decide if I'm going to keep it red or not. Leaning toward Forrester Green right now. How's your project coming?


1954 Chevy 3100
1952 Chevy Suburban
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
J
New Guy
New Guy
J Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 65
good work thanks for sharing


New but in an Old Way !!!

Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0