The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (1955 1 Series, TUTS 59, Gdads51, TooMany2count, 2 invisible), 74 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,088
Posts1,056,348
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#596676 11/29/2009 10:46 PM
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 98
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 98
I'm upgrading my 41 1/2 ton's front brakes to 51-59 bendix brakes. Do the 51 - 59 front wheel cylinders have to be installed as marked (right to right side and left to left side) or can i switch them to opposite sides? Installed as marked, the brake hoses have more tension than if i were to switch them (since the brake hose has to be screwed into the more forward part of wheel cylinder).

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
I can think of no reason why it would matter which side a wheel cylinder is on beyond how the hoses fit. If the hoses fit better one way than the other I'd install the wheel cylinders for best hose fit.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2006
Posts: 2,544
I'd look and see the location of the bleeder screw and make sure you can open and close it. Also make sure that the wheel cylinder "seats" on the machined surface so its tight and flat against the backing plate. I'd also caution having any pressure on the brake hoses when installed. I would think that having them pulling will lead to the inside collapsing and causing a whole bunch of other problems.

Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 277
I did the change on my 39 and switched wheel cylinders for the better hose fit.

Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 98
W
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
W Offline
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 98
Thanks for the responses, I'll try switching them tonight.


Moderated by  Dusty53, SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0