The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (DHedrick, WarEagle1), 103 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,087
Posts1,056,375
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#595828 11/26/2009 2:42 PM
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
Happy Thanksgiving to all,
My question is which tranny has more options for a 46 Burb to be driven on today's highways? Mine originally had a 3 spd, I understand that to go to a 4 spd I may not gain anything due to the top gears being the same. Does anyone make differnt gear sets for the 4 spd? Would like to maintain originality to a point, like brake and clutch connectionc etc. Just want a bit more highway-ability, not 80-90 mph. Thanks, Richard


Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
With the early motor and bellhousing, combined with the torque tube rear, you have very few options.

Are you planning to change anything aside from the transmission?


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jun 2005
Posts: 96
Not sure, I had not planned on it. It had a 3 spd in it but it needs to be rebuilt or replaced. I have since found a floor board for a 4 spd that is in really great shape so that got me to thinking maybe I should look for a 4 spd. What other differences are there?
I have located a 235 engine that is currently at a mchine shop getting redone.
Are there other things that I should change as well?
Thanks for your response, Richard


Richard J Patrick - 1946 Suburban
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 65
R
old truck heaven
old truck heaven
R Offline
Joined: Nov 2004
Posts: 65
Hi:
The 4 speed is not going to do anything for you except give you a very low granny gear in first. To get to some highway speeds 55+ you would need to change the rear axle gears. I do believe they are available at Patrick's in Tucson AZ. You will the speed on the highway but sacrifice power up the hills.
Brian

Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
K
k10 Offline
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
K Offline
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 800
You will have to change the u-joint as well. Actually half of it needs to be changed when you go to the 4 speed. They are on eBay fairly often in NOS condition. I have had an NOS 3 speed and an NOS 4 speed in my '45 1/2 ton truck. Here is my advice to you. Stick with the 3 speed. Here's why. The GM 4 speed trans of the era is not synchronized and that can be a problem with braking if you miss a downshift. You'll be playing the 3 pedal 2-step in a panic type brake situation. (I don't care how you drive, they will come up when you least expect them)
The 3 speed is synchronized in 2 and 3rd gears, so a nice 3 to 2 downshift with brakes on really helps slow the vehicle down quickly. No need to blip the accelerator to get back to second because of non-sychronization.
I also have the 3.55 gears and they are well worth the expense and effort. Additionally, I have a Truckstell torque tube Overdrive which you cut the torque tube for installation. They are not common, so don't get your hopes up but keep an eye out for guys scrapping original drivelines when they destroy, uh "rod" their vehicle.
Stick with the 3 speed and get the 3.55's , you will be quite happy. The 3 speed is rebuildable and there should be a few around for parts.


Moderated by  MNSmith, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0