| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,094 Posts1,056,157 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 | Last night I finally got my transmission put back in but as I laid awake in bed thinking of my progress I began to wonder if I put the clutch in the proper way. Is it possible to put it in backwards? If I did manage to do such, what are the consequences? I am hoping that it does not fit backwards and the more I think of it I am starting to convince myself so as I do not see it fitting against the flywheel if it were in properly. My clutch seems to fit perfectly and it works when I press on the peddle. I really hope I do not need to remove that transmission again!
Also, what type of fluid would I use to fill up my transmission, Just normal manual transmission fluid? How much do I put in, just to the bottom of the fill hole or a measured amount?
Last edited by 46 HalfTon; 11/26/2009 3:44 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | My ’41 clutch is a 10-3/4” unit for a ¾ ton pickup and it would only go together one way. There is an extended boss on one face of the clutch disk and it has to go to the flywheel side. The pressure plate will not come up to touch and clamp on the clutch disk if clutch disk is installed backwards. If it is working you have it installed correctly.
The owner’s manual calls for S.A.E. 90 Hypoid lube in both the transmission and differential. 3 spd. 1-1/2 pints. 4 spd. 5-1/2 pints. In the old days when I first worked in a gas station we would stick our finger in the fill hole and if you could touch the oil it was ok.
1 liter = 2.113 pints
| | | | | Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2008 Posts: 210 | Thanks a lot.
So when you say SAE 90 Hypoid...can I use SAE 75W90 API GL-5? I just read that some older vehicles cannot handle the EP additive due to the copper on the gears? Have you heard of this? | | | | | Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 Riding in the Passing Lane | | Riding in the Passing Lane Joined: Jun 2004 Posts: 8,597 | Prop the clutch pedal down or get someone to hold it. Get under neath & make sure the disc is close to the flywheel & will turn. They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing. 1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne SuperIn the Gallery Forum | | |
| |
| |