The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (Snowman51, Steelonsteel), 105 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,118
Posts1,056,646
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#593723 11/19/2009 4:10 AM
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
I recently noticed my GEN light staying on all the time when my truck was running. I reasoned it would be a good time to just replace the alternator with an internally regulated one. I followed the instruction in the FAQ section of here http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=345919 I have 14 volts at the battery when the truck is idling, but the light stays on. I reversed the wires just to be sure...light stays on, but 12 volts at battery.

I'm guessing I had the wiring part right. What will cause the GEN light to stay on?

This is on a 250 six in a 66 C10 with warning lights rather than gauges.

Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
I should also mention I just replaced the instrument cluster harness. So, the wiring is new from there to light. I'm guessing all this means a short between the gen light and the alternator. In this case, between the harness plug and alternator. Is there an easy method for finding it, or would it just be simplest to run a new wire?

Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,836
Does the light go out when you unplug the 2-pin connector at the back of the alternator? If not, you've got an unwanted ground between the light and the alternator. One leg of the 2-conductor circuit to the idiot light should be hot with the ignition on, and the other should ground through the alternator anytime charging current is not flowing. It sounds like you're getting your ground somewhere before the signal gets to the alternator.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 218
Ok, that makes sense. Between a couple of boards and advice, i think I am actually starting to understand this circuit. I will try unplugging the connector at the gen to see what happens.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0