The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 188 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,089
Posts1,056,441
Members48,443
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
I put in a new heater blower motor in my '58 burb. I also put in a new heater switch for the deluxe control. On low and medium fan speed, the resistor wires inside the round porcelain tubes glows bright red and they are hot. On high speed, no red glow. As an added special attraction, they smoked when I first fired it up. Any ideas solutions, or comments?


1958 GMC Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum


Never accept a drink from a urologist!
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Online: Content
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,829
That's normal operation. The lower speeds are made possible by some of the voltage being consumed by the resistor, which produces heat. It's common for whatever dust is on the resistor to burn off the first time it gets hot. Keep your fingers off the resistor when low speeds are selected- - - - -they will get blistered in a heartbeat.
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
V
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
V Offline
Joined: Jan 2005
Posts: 1,602
I agree. First time I saw smoke coming off the switch, I thought I was going to die! It still gets red hot but no more smoke.


Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Apr 2006
Posts: 136
Thanks for the replies. Just wanted to make sure I didn't need a fire extinguisher in the front seat!


1958 GMC Suburban Carryall
In the Stovebolt Gallery
In the Gallery Forum


Never accept a drink from a urologist!
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
O
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 136
I always keep a fire extinguisher handy. Just insurance against H.I.A. syndrome. dance


1952 Chevy 3100
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures in Photobucket

Doin better'n some an worse than others. Life's what ya make of it. FAMILY, GOD and COUNTRY. Love it or Leave it.
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
M
New Guy
New Guy
M Offline
Joined: Nov 2009
Posts: 38
The heater in my 54 is not working so as I am checking things out I notice there is a fuse and a white porcelain thing attached to the same switch which is an under dash mount switch similar to a house switch with what fells like 3 stop points on it. The fuse was blown and the porcelain thingy is real brittle and falling apart revealing a coil of wire. I have looked on various sites to find a replacement switch but have had no luck this seems to be the original switch as it has heater engraved in the toggle. Any ideas where I might find a replacement?

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

That original-style heater switch is not sold as a reproduction. You might try the Swap Meet or keep an eye out on eBay (they show up used and NOS every so often).

Tim

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 428
I can't speak to a 54 switch, but the 47 to 53 switches don't come cheap. I wanted to put in an orginal so one of the guys here on The Stovebolt hooked me up. $40 plus shipping. I think it was a fair price for the NOS switch. The last one I saw on Ebay went for over $70. I agree with Tim, I would put in a request for one in the Swap Meet. You will probably get a better price and put a few bucks in another bolter's pocket.


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0