The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hotrod Lincoln, TooMany2count, ranchojuan), 152 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,135
Posts1,056,423
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
I just restored my '33 1.5 ton dumptruck and installed a new throwout bearing. Less than 200 miles later, one of the ears sheared off. There is no sign of a crack or fatigue where it failed which leads me to think I have a linkage problem. Does anyone know what to look for or is there some source of tolerances or instructions for setting up the linkage? It worked perfectly until it failed. The face of the carbon doesn't even look used! There are only a few of these bearings still available so I want the next one to last.

Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 6,214
When you say "ear" are you talking about the pivot shafts that are located at 6 and 12 o'clock on the throwout bearing itself? One of those broke? I've never heard of that happening...

Mike B smile


Mike Boteler

1956 Chevy 3100 Resto Rod
1952 Willys M38 Army Jeep
1983 Jeep CJ7 Laredo
1984 Jeep CJ7
+++++
Silver Spring, MD
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
B
Apprentice
Apprentice
B Offline
Joined: Oct 2009
Posts: 33
Yes that is the "ear" I am talking about. I have never heard of it either! I hate to go on a witch hunt for a problem that may not exist. However, maybe I do have a linkage problem that could break the next one. It is a chore to replace as well. We have to move the differential aft to get the bearing out.
Mark


Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0