The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (TUTS 59, Shof, Jon G, Gray_Ghost), 181 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#589146 11/03/2009 1:00 AM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
I just saw this old post and I have the exact same problem, does any one have any pics?

Thanks!

Komp59 #589152 11/03/2009 1:13 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
You'd get better response to an engine question in Engine and Driveline. Glad to see you're using the search feature though.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #589398 11/03/2009 7:52 PM
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
It looks like the original message didnt carry over so I'll ask again.

Does anyone have a picture of their choke on the original carb? Mine is missing and I'd like to get an idea of how it was hooked up.

Thanks all

Komp59 #589403 11/03/2009 8:24 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Year of engine, engine size, truck/car engine, carb-brand, manual/automatic choke? (this information might have been in another post but it is not in this message or in your profile)


Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
Oops sorry about that, its a 1959, 235ci with manual choke. As far as I know it still has the original carb.

Thanks for the help, I'm super new to all of this and I'd like to learn as much as I can.

Komp59 #589652 11/04/2009 12:51 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Are you asking about how the choke cable is connected, or are you asking about the choke mechanism/parts?

This is not your carburetor but the bracket for the throttle and choke cables is similar to the one on your carburetor (do you have a throttle cable in 1959?). Are you asking about how/where the cables attach to the bracket and carburetor?

Tim


Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
K
New Guy
New Guy
K Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 12
I'm asking about the choke mechanism and parts. Everything from the knob, to the cable, to the choke valve is missing. When it's warmer I can get it going pretty easy but in the cold I need keep something over the carb to get it started.

Any thoughts on solutions or pictures of what it should look like?

Sorry if I'm not being clear on what I'm asking
Thanks,
David

Komp59 #590570 11/07/2009 6:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
M
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
M Offline
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 581
David,

Might be good to verify what carb. you have, but lets get really basic here . . .

Your existing carb DOES have a choke, correct? I mean literally, the choke plate towards the top of the air horn, the part that swivels up to 90 degrees to cut off air flow, increase vacuum, thereby drawing more fuel for a richer starting fuel-mix?

The shaft it's attached to should go through the air-horn wall of the carb, and attach to a sort of disc with an arm on it, mounted to the carb itself.

Then, a cable would hook into that arm, and said cable's jacket or sheath attaches to a boss/stand-off/arm thingy which is also attached to the carb. I suppose someone could have removed this piece from the carb, which means you have nothing to mount the choke cable to. The cable usually slides through a loop in this mounting, and the loop is tightened with a screw.

If you don't have this mount, you'll need to get one to remotely (from the cab) operate the choke.

Otherwise, if you're just missing the choke cable itself, they are available. It looks like many throttle cables, just an armored, fexible cable with the wire poking out at one end, and a knob with a "C" on it on the other end. They are available from most any Chevy parts supplier, OR you could even get a generic one at the auto parts store.

Then it's just a matter of running the cable through the fire wall (should be a hole for this already, with a grommet in it) and mounting it in the dash. Hook it up to the choke plate and tighten it into the carb mount, and you're good to go.

Sorry if this is ridiculously simplified!

Hope it helps,

-Michael
If you have the choke and


Please type slow, as I can't read very fast.

1939 Chevy/Central Fire Engine
1941 Chevy/American Fire Engine
1950 Chevy/American Fire Engine
In the Gallery
More Photos in Me Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0