Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,110 Posts1,056,246 Members48,437 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | Hey guys... So, I'm a complete novice with electrical. I am open to all suggestions, as I can't speak with any authority at all...
I just put an NOS 56 GMC headlight switch in my truck. Everything seemed to be working fine, and then the dash lights went out. So, I pulled the fuse and it was blown. Put another fuse in, and it blew again instantly. I am using 4 AMP SFE fuses. I'm going to try eliminating accessory lights, and see if I'm overloading the circuit or something. I have an NOS accessory junction block that I am running for the accessories.
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | ok... well, just as an expirament, I disconnected the accessory panel lamp wire from the junction block, and retried, an no fuse blown. So... I did something wrong as far as the accessories go. This is progress, huh?
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,803 | Yep, you've isolated the circuit that's overloading. Now you need to determine if you've got a dead short, or just too much current draw for the fuse. Try this- - - -make up a jumper lead with an inline fuse in it. You can get an accessory fuse holder at any auto parts store, and attach an alligator clip to both wires. Splice extender wires to the fuse holder leads if necessaary. Put a big fuse, maybe a 20 or 30 amp, into the holder. Attach one end of the jumper to a known source of voltage like the battery terminal on the ignition switch, for instance, and touch the other clip to the wire you just disconnected. A big flash and a blown fuse confirms that you've got a dead short, a hot lead attached directly to ground. If the lights burn normally when you connect the jumper, and the wires don't get hot, your circuit is simply drawing more current than the fuse you selected for the light switch can handle. Step up in fuse size until you've got a little bit of overload capacity- - - -if a 4 amp fuse blows, try a 6 amp, or maybe a 10 amp. Just don't get ridiculous and go with a 20 or something similar. The fuse protects the wire, not the end item, so if the circuit you're powering has a #16 wire, for instance, use a 10 amp fuse or smaller. #18 wires need about a 7 amp, and really small wires like a #22 or so should be fused to 5 amps or less.
If your dash lights are drawing more than 6 or 7 amps, you've probably got a short somewhere. Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2001 Posts: 168 | Well, so far so good. I don't know exactly what I was doing wrong, but I did manage to get everything working again. I was running an NOS Chevy truck junction block, then switched to a correct NOS GMC junction block I found in my stash of stuff. They actually are different, and even install in different places, strangely enough. Hooked that up, and and just double checked all my connections against installation instructions, cleaned and tightened everything, and it all seems to be working great... Thanks for the help!!
1956 GMC 100 NAPCO Deluxe 1955.1 Chevy 3600 NAPCO 1954 Chevy 3600 NAPCO
| | |
| |