The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (KEVINSKI, DadsFirstPickup, Hanks custodian, Ponchogl), 198 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,230
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Hi,

Ok, I have the shop manual with wiring diagram, a voltage reducer to take 12v down to 6, etc. Now I see that there is a bent ribbon of metal connecting the two poles on the gas gauge (see Photo)

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uDRN11f1NhAr2dnuRUechw?feat=directlink

It looks original but I am having a hard time understanding how this circuit will not bypass the gauge. Any thoughts on this situation? Should I just hook up the wires and see what happens?

thanks,

-doug

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
Doug,

That bent ribbon isn't metal, I believe it's paper, and it's suppose to be a insulator to keep wrenches and other things from shorting the two terminals together.

Your voltage reducer goes in series (inline) with the wire from key to gauge. Does this make sense!

Stuart

Last edited by atomarc; 10/23/2009 6:07 AM.
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
T
'Bolter
'Bolter
T Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 75
Totally - Thank you Stewart. I'll try and get the voltage reducer in this weekend and see if the gauge works. Once I get all the gauges working I have to restore the whole cluster (paint and lettering, etc.) but at least I'll know that it functions.

cheers, Doug


Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0