The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Gdads51, papas52, Bruce 1954-4100, tclederman, Forty9), 102 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,257
Members48,437
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
My truck is 1954 Chevy 3100 and currently has 283CI with original 4 speed trans and torque tube drive shaft & rear end.

I was told that the rear end I plan to upgrade my truck has 3.55 gears so I have been planning for an OD transmission upgrade. Turns out the rear end ratio is (15:41) 2.73 ratio. No OD required.

I want a top loader 3 (if there is such a thing) or 4 speed that would be compatible with my current bell housing and clutch. What years and models are my choices? I know it would begin with 1955 - ??.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
With such a high rear end ratio, I wouldn't reccomend anything less than the sm420. The sm420 (used from about 1955-1967) is pretty much the same 4 speed that is currently in your truck, but it is set up for an open driveline. How well is the 283 built? If you have a relatively strong 283 you might be ablt to use a transmission with a higher 1st gear like a muncie or saginaw, but those transmissions would not be a topload design, and you would have to cut a new hole in the floor.

The Sm465 may also work, but the bearing retainer will have to be turned down by a machine shop to fit in your bellhousing.

Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 150
Thanks for the reply, the sm420 sounds perfect. I want an bolt in, no machine work, no frigging... solution. I want the shifter to be where my stock one is.

The 283 is a 1967 from a C10/K10 with 2bl & PG. However I haven't been any deeper than the intake manifold; the starter, dist, heads, intake and carb are all numbers matching for a 1957 corvette 220 hp. I have replaced the intake with a Edlebrock Alum dual plane hi-rise, and Edlebrock 600cfm carb, added a Pertronix to the dist and the exhaust is dual with turbo mufflers and dumps just before the rear wheels (read low restriction).

It's not a race truck or a trailoring truck or hauling truck. Just me and perhaps a passenger, that's it.

Can I assume the sm420 was used on the half ton, 3/4 and 1 ton models?

Thanks again.

Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Originally Posted by sfsutton
Can I assume the sm420 was used on the half ton, 3/4 and 1 ton models?


Yup! The shifter will be about 4 1/2 inches from the front of the transmission. In fact, the transmission you likely have is the sm420, but with the torque tube rear. You might be able to swap just the rear yoke of the transmission with that of an open drive sm420. It is probably easier to swap the whole transmission and then sell your closed driveline sm420.

Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 22
R
New Guy
New Guy
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2003
Posts: 22
I want the close ratios of the single grove input shaft all syncro three speed but would like a floor shift. I see that there is a T-15(?) floor shift tranny but with much wider ratios. will my three speed all syncro gearset fit it? is my tranny a t-16?
thanks
Roar


Greasy Thumbs

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0