| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,107 Posts1,056,225 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Oct 2001 Posts: 578 | The bottom 10" of the rear of my left front fender has a rust hole in it. I bought a patch panel to weld in.
Should I remove the fender to fix it, or should I do it on the truck?
"Happiness equals reality minus expectations" - Tom Magliozzi
| | | | | Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Jul 2001 Posts: 3,887 | best to take it off, unless you want to weld the fender to the cowl  Bill | | | | | Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Sep 2005 Posts: 1,028 | I did mine with the whole truck apart and I think that is easier.. That said if it was not already apart I think I would have done it in place. Taking the front fender off is not too bad. Lining it up when you put it back on can be problematic but not impossible.
Just be careful not to damage the cowl if you leave it on.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 119 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Oct 2006 Posts: 119 | Have the fender on the truck when you weld it in. If you weld the patch in while the fender is off the truck you risk real problems with the door and step sill gap and alignment. That area is really prone to warping so you've got to be VERRRRY careful with the welder if you're going to butt weld it in.
Take it from me, I learned the hard way. | | |
| |
| |