| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
0 members (),
117
guests, and
1
robot. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,089 Posts1,056,141 Members48,436 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 | Seriously - I have a number of friends - but only one of the even knows what a wrench is & he lives 8 freakin' hours away.
That said - If I provided the beverages & maybe some good tunes - could I talk one of two of my stove bolt buddies into helping me install my "new" door?
I imagine the removal is going to be easy enough - but holding the "new" door in place while I align the bolts is going to be a pain.
Unless - someone knows of a cool trick to install them w/o holding them a ft off the ground while trying to align the bolts????
Last edited by Midget Farmer; 10/03/2009 11:18 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 424 | If I were closer I'd give you a hand. Alas, I'm on the west coast. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 104 | Do you have a cherry picker? Thats what I used to support mine while I lined it up and installed the bolts. I've have learned to do almost everything myself because I get tired waiting for help to arrive. | | | | | Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) | | Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer) Joined: Feb 2004 Posts: 29,798 | Easy- - - - -c-clamp or wire a 2-foot piece of 2X4 to the pad of your floor jack, and use that to position the door where it needs to be. I've installed bunches of them that way when I was running a 1-man body shop. There are professional tools that do the same thing, but I was on a real shoestring budget. When it was necessary to get a job done, out the door, and paid for so I could go get a burger at the local greasy spoon, it was a real incentive to produce! Jerry
"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt! There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
| | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | Floor jack and a chunk of RR tie works well, too.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2008 Posts: 3,750 | Easy- - - - -c-clamp or wire a 2-foot piece of 2X4 to the pad of your floor jack, and use that to position the door where it needs to be. Necessity....The mother of invention! Thanks for the tip Jerry,i'll be doing this too quite soon! 1950 Chevy Advance Design 3100 in ScotlandIn the Stovebolt GalleryMore pix on Flickr. I've definately got this truck thing in my blood ... my DNA sequence has torque settings"Of all the small nations of this earth,perhaps only the ancient Greeks surpass the Scots in their contribution to mankind" Winston Churchill.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 | I have a nice air lift that can raise the door- I guess I can mess around & try ti keep it balanced while I start the bolts.
The shop manual said to start the bolts & close the door - then tighten & all will be in alignment.
I'm just not sure the door won't fall on my head while I'm doing this.
Thanks for the tips though -
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 208 | Done - Door installed! It wasn't as tough as I thought it would be. Just took a bit to adjust it to fit right.
Thanks for the tips. | | |
| |
| |