The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (KEVINSKI, Gray_Ghost, Otto Skorzeny), 113 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,100
Posts1,056,513
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
I have found a complete set of six 2005 8 lug dually GM wheels and tires, and am wondering if they will fit on my 64 C-30 dually? I seem to remember some talk about this in the past, but can't seem to find the thread. Can anyone help me on this one? Thanks!

Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Sep 2006
Posts: 73
i think the stud diameters are different so you may have to change to a 9/16" stud. not certain though. i had to on my 70 1 ton when fitting newer wheels with the clamp plates.

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
The back spacing on the early wheels won't let you run 235-85-R16, they rub under load. The newer wheels have a little more back spacing. Got a ticket for my tires touching and had to go to either 215 or 225 for clearance, went to the newer wheels and got to wear the new 235 out.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
These Wheels have 215-85R16's mounted on them, so that shouldn't be a problem, but I have had some people tell me that the rear drum brake will hit the inside of the newer wheels?........I need to confirm this, as I need to let the guy know if I want them or not. HELP!!!!!!!

Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
S
'Bolter
'Bolter
S Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 240
I guess the best way is to take a jack over remove yours and try one of his!!! I may have spoken to quickly, I had changed my rearend to a 78, for the better brakes. The drums are bigger on the stock rearends. Another problem is the early rearend has an additional bearing on the pinion and if the slip yoke freezes up it takes that bearing out. Common on these trucks. That is why I changed mine the larger brakes were a plus, higher gears were another plus. Sorry if I misled you.


You Learn more Listening than Talking
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
What size brakes do you have? If the diameter is too large to fit in those 16 inch wheels they aren't going to fit.

Last edited by OldSub; 09/28/2009 2:20 AM. Reason: 26 to 16...

1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
K
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 153
I can't check the wheels on my truck, as they are too far away, so that option is out. Hasn't anyone out there ever tried putting these wheels on an older 1 ton?

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Its been tried. The 16 inch wheels won't fit over the brake drums on a 1-ton rear axle. It will won't work if someone has swapped axles or brakes.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
H Offline
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 29,835
My 59 3800 1-ton had 18" tube-type wheels on it, and a 16" tubeless-tire wheel would not clear the brake drums. I fitted a mid-70's 14-bolt Chevy axle to an 87 Ford F-350 once, and had to run Chevy 16" tube-type wheels on the inside duals to clear the brakes on that one. I ran the 16" tubeless rims on the outside duals to keep the appearance from front to rear the same, but it took a great deal of adapting to make everything work. I had a good-condition Chevy 14 bolt, and I didn't have the $1,000.00+ to repar the Ford axle!
Jerry


"It is better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and eliminate all doubt!" - Abraham Lincoln
Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. - Ernest Hemingway
Love your enemies and drive 'em nuts!
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Personally I'd love to find a way to run modern tires on wheels that look like the 18 inchers... But I also want modern brakes so I've upgraded to a 14-bolt on my project too.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
Originally Posted by OldSub
Personally I'd love to find a way to run modern tires on wheels that look like the 18 inchers... But I also want modern brakes so I've upgraded to a 14-bolt on my project too.

The 8R19.5 wheels and tires are tall and skinny like the old 18" tires.
As far as the distinctive 8 lug AD 1 ton dual wheels look with all those hand holes... Perhaps some extra hand holes could be added to the new 19.5 rims. Or if the measurements on diameter and backspacing work out the original centers may fit new 19.5" rims only.

If you have an an 18" wheel measure the offset of the dish from wheel mounting surface to the rivets that attach it to the rim, and the diameter at the intersection of rim and center. I can compare those measurements to the 6X19.5" rim and the recommended dual wheel spacing for 8R19.5 tires.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 115
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 115
Something else to consider. A 19.5, being a drop center rim design, will have the same wheel center diameter as a 17" tube type. I've got multiple sets of each and the centers measure exactly the same. If a 16 won't clear your drums, might want to measure to make sure the 19.5 will clear. Stu

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
OK, so fitting 18" wheel centers in 19.5" wheels won't work at the drop center.
There are no 17" dual wheels with the distinctive 18" lots of hand hole dual wheel look that I know of.

There is still hope though chances are the backspacing won't work out even if an 18" center would fit in the 19.5" rim. So, with luck the center will intersect the rim somewhere other than the drop center (it will) and where it does fit might give correct backspacing. This is probably a long shot though.
The center could even be turned down to intersect where you need it to give proper backspacing, if there is enough material where it's needed.

Let's still find the depth measurement on the 18" wheel dish and I'll do some measuring and comparing to a 19.5" rim.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0