The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Phak1, Bill Hanlon, Greg_H, dt235sd, Jon G, Oswald), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,090
Posts1,056,384
Members48,442
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#576544 09/21/2009 10:19 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
i have a couple of 235 engines one out of a car that i want to put in my 52 it a 57 235. i have a 235 out of a truck that has a correct front motor mount. should i drill holes in the original car mount or take off the real motor mount from another engine. that being the case do i have to drop the oil pan to get to the bolts that hold the front mount. thanks Paul

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
if i'm correctly understanding your question; yes, the pan has to be dropped in order to access the two bolts, but i'm confused with the other part of your question

Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
I think if you can drill the holes correctly, that is the easiest way to go. I don't think there would be any point in swapping front plates if you didn't have to.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2001
Posts: 1,519
Save yourself a lot of work and just drill the front plate. You would also have to remove the cam to do the switch. Just stand both motors on end and transfer the measurements,,,away you go.................
Good Luck,
Marty

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
I would drill the front motor plate.There is a lot involved with removing the front engine plate.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
L
'Bolter
'Bolter
L Offline
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 8,351
Are you planning to overhaul the engine before it is installed? If so, it would be no big deal to swap the plate, other than dissassembling the other engine. If not, then drilling to match will be just fine.


Bill Burmeister
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
hey lb - are there pics available to see the diff between the '57 motor mounts vs the earliers?

Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
There are 2 good tech tips to help with the front mount modification:

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/motormount_235.html

and

http://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/engines/motor_mount_front/index.html


If the holes are made square carriage bolts can be used as was original in some cases.



1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
W
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
W Offline
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 408
thanks for all the help drilling the holes it is. The body is off the frame so i will mount the engine and put in the bolts for the rear mounts then drill up into the plates to mark the holes. does that sound like a good idea.
thanks Paul

Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
O
'Bolter
'Bolter
O Offline
Joined: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,254
Thanks for the information. I have a 216 from a car that I was going to use in my 53 pickup. I need to drill the holes and was working on ideas to do it.

Like you wodniw5, I was thinking of dropping the engine onto the frame of the 53 and marking where the holes needed to be.

Do I have to use carriage bolts or can the holes be round and I use hardened bolts?

I have a full pressure 235 in the shop being rebuilt. It will have the correct front plate so this 216 is a 'driver' engine.

Thanks for letting me get in on this.
Dennis


Dennis
-there is nothing stronger than the heart of a volunteer-
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,513
Originally Posted by oldbluetruck
Thanks for the information. I have a 216 from a car that I was going to use in my 53 pickup. I need to drill the holes and was working on ideas to do it.

Like you wodniw5, I was thinking of dropping the engine onto the frame of the 53 and marking where the holes needed to be.

Do I have to use carriage bolts or can the holes be round and I use hardened bolts?

I have a full pressure 235 in the shop being rebuilt. It will have the correct front plate so this 216 is a 'driver' engine.

Thanks for letting me get in on this.
Dennis


Wrench access is limited near the balancer so square holes will hold the bolts in place when tightening but either can be done. Mounting the engine in the frame only to locate the holes sounds like way too much work. I can confirm the template linked above will locate the holes properly provided the holes are laid out to equally straddle the crankshaft centerline. Also from the autopsies I have performed the oil pan nearly always has some degree of sludge in it so I would remove the pan any time a used engine is to be flipped upside down.

Good luck.


1952 1300 Canadian 1/2 ton restomod
You Tube
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 431
flipped upside down? why would someone do that without first removing the oil pan?

Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,557
It's probably on an engine stand.


1951 3100 Chevrolet
1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall
Image
"A house is built with boards and beams. A home is built with love and dreams."
"Look deep before you leap !!!" / "Everything is Everything"
"If I say a mouse can pull a house, hitch him up"

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0