The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (R&S 51 GMC, KEVINSKI, Bill Hanlon, Swami29, Phak1), 99 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,125
Posts1,056,339
Members48,440
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57615 03/11/2006 12:43 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
My clutch seems to be adjusting itsself so that free play at the top is increasing. If the clutch were wearing out, wouldn't the opposite be true? It's got to where it won't always fully disengage when I romp down. I have a 10 3/4" clutch and 4 speed transmission in a 1/2 ton '49 Chevy w/'58 235 engine. What would cause this?

#57616 03/11/2006 1:03 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
you're not tightening the lock nut on the adjuster?

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#57617 03/11/2006 1:21 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
Haven't checked the lock nut. After 4000 miles it just started doing it. That's what i'm thinking is the lock nut may have worked loose. Tomorrow I go in. So, to reduce the top play, you tighten the bottom nut, moving it closer to the loop?

#57618 03/11/2006 3:37 AM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
If its not the lock nut like Bill says, it may be you have a bad motor mount on the same side as the lock nut. I got a 52 here that did that. Every time you pushed the clutch down it moved the motor a little, and took the adjustment out.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
#57619 03/11/2006 4:40 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 23
Raised the hood and the locknut appears to be tight. Looks like motormounts are the culprit. So the truck will be down for a week or so. I checked Chev's of the 40's and their mounts don't look anything like mine. They mention second design. Mine must be first design. Confusing, but I'd like to put the part in that looks like the one that came out. Any leads?

#57620 03/11/2006 5:11 PM
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I
Member
Member
I Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 355
I get mine at Jim Carters, but if your running a 58 engine they may be a newer style one. i think the mounts changed in 53 or 54, along with the bell housing.


Jeff
1947 Chevy 6400 2-ton
In the Gallery
1953 3/4-ton
In the Gallery
It was fun while it lasted
#57621 03/11/2006 11:32 PM
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
You are probably useing the 49 mounts unless the crossmember has been changed. The 48-53 mounts should fit.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0