The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (Tiny, Otto Skorzeny, 2 invisible), 111 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,142
Posts1,056,476
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#576122 09/20/2009 3:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
We're underway with our first rebuild of any type of vehicle and so far we're having a ball (by we I mean my wife and I). We have a 66 C10 and want to swap the original 283 with 3-speed manual to a 350 with a 700R4. I know I need to add a rear mount for the new transmission, but do I need to remove the current transmission mount/cross member in order to do that? I've read through a number of posts that point to the need to remove it, but I want to make darn sure before I remove a substantial part of the frame. Thanks for you help.

Z
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
ZooKeeper
Unregistered
Z
Yep, to put an automatic in that truck the trans cross-member has to come out. Auto & stick trans uses 2 completely different cross-members...Joe

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks Joe. It looks like I'll be drilling out some rivets this afternoon!

Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
R
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
R Offline
Joined: Jan 2007
Posts: 220
66shortwide, ZooKeeper is correct, you will need to remove the manual transmission cross-member and install one from an automatic.
I pulled one from a 71 or 72 (can't remember which) that I found at the boneyard from a truck using a automatic. I got lucky and found one that was bolted in verses riveted.
First bolt the transmission to the cross-member to determine where it will attach to the frame (keep everything square) and attach the cross-member to the frame. I had to use my welder to fill in the holes on the new cross-member. Then drill where necessary. Of course the engine needs to be bolted in for all of this.
You will also need to shorten the drive shaft.
In the end it is a great combo.

Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
6
New Guy
New Guy
6 Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 8
Thanks for the info. As a newbie I really appreciate a great resource like this forum.


Moderated by  Hambone, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0