The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 87 guests, and 0 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,108
Posts1,056,566
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 31
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 31

Late 30's chevy pickup owners,

Will a 292 inline six fit in a 38 chevy pickup truck engine bay without major modifications? Will it require moving the stock location of the radiator? What about fan clearance?
I'm new to this stuff, as always I appreciate any info/experience you all have.
Thanks

oldbald2 aka
Don B


Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
cant help on the fan clearance, however the mounts are different on the 292 vs any of the other I6's


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
The 292 is longer, but in my '39 there is room to move the radiator forward. Instead of that, though, I recessed my firewall and left the radiator where it was intended. Check out the Sept. '09 Classic Trucks magazine for a new firewall install.

Craig


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
I moved my radiator forward and recessed the firewall. I have more room then I needed, but at least the firewall stays a cooler now. I also set my engine a little high so I had to hump up the floor board to clear the automatic transmission. If I was doing it again, I would keep the floor as is and set the engine -trans just low enough to clear and as far back as I could.

You find the room in the cab is quite small, so any that you can keep, keep it! With a hump in the floor, the throttle pedal is a little farther to the left then I wanted, so it takes some getting used to when driving.

Joe

Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
C
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
C Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,031
Quote
The 292 is longer,

I beg to differ
a 292 is .. NO .. longer than any L6 , 194,216,230,235,250,261
w/ the exception of 302's & 308's. taller than most by 1.75'', lighter than 216 & 235's
some had 2 & 3 groove pulleys
you can find a 1 groove pulley.
they have a V8 type bell housing as opposed to the 216/235 one
i have a pusher fan on my 292 radiator

Last edited by carolines truck; 09/25/2009 1:41 AM.

Jim & Caroline
The highway is for gamblers, better use your good sense."
Gooday-that's my 1¢ answer due to the lousy economy ~ cause I ain't got - no . mo . doe

Every Shaver | Now Can Snore | Six More Minutes | Than Before ... | Half A Pound for Half a Dollar | Spread On Thin | Above the Collar || BURMA-SHAVE
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 159
Block may be the same, but you have to take into account the attachments. Isn't the water pump longer therefore making the engine assembly longer?


It is neither wealth nor splendor, but tranquility in occupation which brings happiness. - Thomas Jefferson

CK
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2000
Posts: 5,228
It seemed to me it was longer, I had to notch the fire wall to get mine in. I have seen the picture in Leo's book of 1963 230 overlayed on the 1962 235, and the 230 is smaller, shorter and 19% lighter so GM said. Maybe they are the same, but clearance sure is tight, maybe they were with the original engine to.

Joe


Moderated by  Fibonachu, KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0