The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (1955 1 Series, 3800GUY, Shade Baby, TooMany2count, Bluesky54), 131 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,110
Posts1,056,274
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57449 03/06/2006 6:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
On my 55.1 front drum brakes, I have installed new drums and shoes. I backed off the brake adjustment screw star wheel all the way,and the shoes still rub on the drum. I can turn it with one hand. When I've replaced shoes in the murky past, I never had it rub. What have I done wrong? thanks - scott


55 1st Chev.
#57450 03/06/2006 7:09 PM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 121
Rotate drum so it can leave a mark on shoe. make sure drum is true and flat on hub/axel. pump brake peddle to center shoes in the drum. then check rub marks on shoes, sometimes drums are not square at inner corner[ file shoe] make sure all parts are correctly seated, wheel cyl compressed. It is possable that shoe linning is thick ? and they say the shoe should rub a small amount after adj

#57451 03/07/2006 6:47 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
T-RUCK Thanks for this one too. The lining looks right to me. I think that pumping and checking sounds good. Gotta get the rest together first tho. Thanks again - Scott


55 1st Chev.
#57452 03/07/2006 7:29 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 564
Had the same problem on my '54 Buick Special. I was the tech editor of a Mopar magazine at the time, and the teck editor of Mustang Monthly and the Editor of Mustang Monthly had no clue either. Here were three hard-core car guys who were totally flumuxed by a Buick drum brake.
After trying a few things for a few days, I called a buddy, and he asked his dad. His dad said he once had the exact same problem with a '55 Chevy way back when.
He just took a piece of emory cloth, draped it over the offending shoes, sawed back and forth a few times and removed some shoe material, slid the drum on and drove.
Took all of 3 minutes to fix on the Buick. And yes, we all felt stupid!
-Brad


SOUTHERN FALL GABfest
October 6 ~ Commerce, Georgia
Details here!


Never Pee on an Electric Fence.
#57453 03/07/2006 7:57 PM
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 4,252
My rule of thumb is, unless the new drums (or rotors) are clearly marked on the box that they require no machining, I machine them. Exception is OEM products. I can't control how the parts place has handled or stored them and I can't control if the original machining was done correctly.

#57454 03/09/2006 2:02 AM
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
E
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
E Offline
Joined: Feb 2001
Posts: 81
My 62 1/2 ton chevy brake shoes always rub as there is suspose to be a slight drag if the shoes are adjusted correctly. I did have a problem with a set of rebuilt front shoes as they were glued on the shoes crooked. A replacement set fixed that problem. Also shoes with an FF rating on the side gives much better stopping power with my non-power brakes. Hope this helps.


Green Machine
#57455 03/09/2006 6:34 PM
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
S
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
S Offline
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 384
Thanks for all the tips. Plenty to try.

Scott


55 1st Chev.
#57456 03/09/2006 8:38 PM
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
O
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
O Offline
Joined: Aug 2002
Posts: 455
Daily 52 1/2 ton Chevy truck.

I had the same issue ever since I bought new drums a few years ago.

On each set of new brake shoes I always grind the upper pivot half-round area where the two shoes meet on top. I use a 3/4" dia. coarse grinding bit on a drill removing just a little amount on both shoes.
Just enough to be able to slip the drums on.

When adjusting the brakes, push the pedal a couple of times after each adjustment to center the shoes, before checking for drag or rubbing.
Shouldn't rub with 14 clicks after the wheels start dragging. Maybe very slightly on a high spot.
Also the shoe with the longer pad is supposed to face the rear.


On the road every day...
1952 Truck - 235
1948 Coupe - 261

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0