The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
5 members (Bill Marlow, TUTS 59, Wally / Montana, Shade Baby, 1 invisible), 80 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,385
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57207 03/02/2006 12:54 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
H
Junior Member
Junior Member
H Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
I have a 55 248 which I am rebuilding. I am having trouble locating pistons for it I would like to find a complete engine kit for it. I tried EGGE in Calif. They show it on there Website, but when you try to order it. They say they dont have it. Also Would a 235 piston work are they the same?


Ken
#57208 03/02/2006 4:33 AM
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Welcome to the Stovebolt site. There is another site you need to check out also.

http://www.oldgmctrucks.com/

Check out the site and sign up for the forums. There are several people knowledgable on the hydramatics and I'm sure someone has a source for pistons.

I'm not trying to run you off here. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here you'll enjoy getting to know.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
#57209 03/02/2006 4:43 AM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 565
Check with Goatroper in another post here. I think he might have found a jackpot of old GMC parts at his dad's shop.


"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just leave me alone, you're starting to freak me out."

1957 GMC 150
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
T
New Guy
New Guy
T Offline
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
I just had a machine shop rebuild my 1955 248. It's quite an expensive engine to rebuild. Their material cost for the block was $1,400. That's only a little more than the prices I was getting from Patricks, Kanter, and Egge. My engine was pretty worn and they bored it out to 40 thousands over. I'm not sure where they got the pistons but I did some checking before I took it in. Egge at that time had 20, 30, 40, and 60 thousands oversize for around $400 for a set. The larger bore sizes may be more readily available.
My engine had flat top aluminum pistons with four rings that are apparently unique to 1954 and 1955. Chevy pistons difinately won't work. I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings.


Terry
1948 GMC 1/2 ton with stakebed

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0