The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (Hanks custodian, jmoore, Gdads51), 65 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,132
Posts1,056,379
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57057 02/26/2006 3:47 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I am in the process of rebuilding the rear-end of my 54 GMC 1/2-ton pickup. The rear-end is a 1957 rear-end with an open drive line u-joint flange attached to the pinion shaft. I bought a rear-end rebuild kit from ChevyDuty (manufactured by Yukon Gear & Axle) that came with all the bearings, pinion seal, ring-gear bolts and washers, and two crush sleeves. My question is about these crush sleeves that come with the kit. My 1960 shop manual calls this part a bearing spacer, but I think it is same thing as the crush sleeve. The design of the new crush sleeves is different from the one I removed from my pinion shaft. In case you are unfamiliar with what a crush sleeve looks like it is metal tube 1-1/2" in diameter and 2-1/2" long with a bulge around the circumference of the tube. On my old sleeve the bulge is right on the end of the tube and the new one the bulge is 3/4" down from the end. The old sleeve is also 1/16" shorter than the new ones, but I think this is to be expected after it has been "crushed." Will these new crush sleeves work OK (or maybe better) even though the design is somewhat different? Has anyone else seen this before? Thanks.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#57058 02/26/2006 4:38 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
I never paid attention to where the crush is - if it's the same diameter, I'd just use it! but you could also hit a NAPA or something and get one there, what I did when I redid the pinion on my 57 - and I think the factory did call'em spacers, cuz that's what they're for, and why they can't be crushed too much and still work

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#57059 02/26/2006 1:10 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 395
if there is nothing wrong with the diff just install it..if you have never set up a diff take it to some one that has..if you are set on doing this yourself mail [email protected]

#57060 02/27/2006 3:04 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Upon disassembly of my carrier assembly I found some signs of unusual wear on the inner pinion cone bearing and outer race, much pitting and wear on one side of the outer race and the roller bearings wear also worn out of shape, so much so as I was washing them with some solvent in my parts washer it literally fell apart in my hands. I had not even tried to pull the bearing from the pinion shaft at this point, so I am glad I decided to rebuild this rear-end. I am guessing the pinion preload was not set correctly the last time this rear-end was serviced.
Thanks.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#57061 02/27/2006 4:13 AM
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
prolly never has been serviced!!
pinion might have loosened over time, and the rear was no doubt run w/o, or low on, lube for a long time

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
#57062 02/27/2006 1:39 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
I have no idea about its service history, but I do know that it is not the original rear-end for my truck. The guy I bought it from installed a new pinion seal due to a leak, but he didn't drive the truck, he just bought it to resell it himself. BTW the pinion still leaked after his seal replacement. Bill I am guessing you are right about the rear-end running low on lube with these leaks present.

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#57063 02/28/2006 1:17 AM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Well I just got some bad news :mad: I had placed an order with Golden State Truck parts for the 3.38:1 ration ring & pinoin gear set on 2/17/06. They told me I was in luck since they had been on back order for quite some time and they were do in any day. They charged my account so I assumed they were on there way, but when I called them today they told me they were on back order for 4-6 weeks! What was really a surprise, was I asked who there supplier was and he told me it was Patricks! I had already asked Patricks for these gears and they told me they out of stock and they did not know when they would get them in. I had also checked with ChevyDuty, Randy's Ring & Pinion, and American Classic Truck Parts again with out any luck. The guy at Golden State thought that the gear sets were ultimately made by Richmond Gear, but he was not sure. This does not help me finish my project. I already tore my rear-end apart thinking my gears were on the way. I wish I new for sure that the back order would only be 4-6 weeks, since the guy at Golden State said he was told that the last time he asked. Looks like I picked the wrong day to give up drinking! frown

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport
#57064 02/28/2006 1:35 AM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
5
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
5 Offline
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 72
I have been looking for the ring & pinion set for a year, and have been told a month. first of year, everything. They just don't have a manufacture now and can't get them. Good luck. Let me :confused: and where you find a set.

#57065 02/28/2006 1:35 PM
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
C
Member
Member
C Offline
Joined: Sep 2003
Posts: 343
Will do 57thekid. I think I have contacted all the various old truck part suppliers that I know and a few ring and pinion specialty suppliers and they all say they are on back order and many people are waiting on them. I think all of us who are waiting on these gears should continue to call and inquire about them, so in turn they contact the supplier and maybe they will make us some gears just to shut us up! grin

Jim


1954 GMC 1/2-ton Longbed
1971 Pontiac LeMans Sport

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0