The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
4 members (jmoore, Jon G, tclederman, moparguy), 140 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,120
Posts1,056,325
Members48,439
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
1949 Chevy Truck 3100 4 Speed Transmission

Okay, I have done all the testing and figuring and it is pretty much a given that I have a speedo gear problem. I can see wear marks on the teeth. It will catch occasionally but only for 10 seconds at a time. I found replacements on "Tim Tygart's Obsolete Chevy Parts Co." So how do I go about changing out the speedometer drive gear and the gear inside the transmission that turns it? I have never done anything like this before.


1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
S
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
Grumpy old guy playing with trucks, cars, and boats
S Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,859
Which gear, the driving gear or the driven gear?


The problems we face today can not be addressed at the same level of intelligence we were at when we created them - Albert Einstein Or with the same level of $ - Me
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
G
New Guy
New Guy
G Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 49
I have pulled the driven gear but need info on changing the driving gear. The one inside the transmission that turns the one that spins the speedo cable.


1950 Chevy 3100
with matching trailer

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Not much help in the Shop Manual: Drive Gear - Step 17; Driven Gear - Step 19

It would be nice to see information from someone what has actually done this. I have a NOS pair of gears for use in a 1/2 ton with 6.50x16" wheels but have never figure out how/where to install the Drive Gear for use in a 1/2 ton with enclosed drive-shaft (in the transmission or on the u-joint yoke).


Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
If its the worm gear, its in the front part of the tail shaft. The transmission has to be disassembled. Its very seldom that they go bad. I would look in the hole with a flashlight before I would tear the whole transmission apart. Tim, I sent an email to the address in your profile.


Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0