The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
6 members (Gray_Ghost, TUTS 59, Jon G, Wally / Montana, Simon1954, rfs56trk), 249 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,094
Posts1,056,157
Members48,436
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 86
M
'Bolter
'Bolter
M Offline
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 86
I have been poking around in the paint and body forum and have seen people suggest that it is ok to sandblast sheet metal to prep for painting; that the metal is thick enough that it won't warp and that it will really get all the rust. In my view it would be great for things like fenders, hoods and so on, particularly where there is a bit of body cancer. Does anyone have any experience with this on big bolts?


Matt

"Brunhilde II" '59 Viking 60
To paraphrase Ben Franklin: "Big Bolts are proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,961
How big a truck do you have. Although 1 1/2 ton and up front ends are larger to accommodate larger tires, they use the same gauge sheet metal as pickups. And of course you risk the same dangers as sand blasting a pickup. It can be done, but it takes an experienced blaster. GMC 450 and larger used heavier gauge steel. I prefer to use one of these. http://www.monti-tools.com/e_video.php The video demonstrates it pretty well. I brought the first one from Germany, but I have bought another one since from a company in New York.

Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
P
'Bolter
'Bolter
P Offline
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 224
i had my 46 2 ton sandblasted by a guy that knew what he was doing. it turned out great
my truck was rough rusty and nasty when i got it back it was clean and smooth shot it with some etch primer as soon as i got it home and went from there it really jump started my project the door jambs firewall and such i would have been at it for months
with a power tool just my 2 cents philip

Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
G
.
.
G Offline
Joined: May 2005
Posts: 8,878
You always have to be careful sand blasting sheet metal.

I would use sand blasting on sheet metal as a last resort, and or for the really hard to get to stuff. The big flat areas that are easy to get to are also easy to warp are best sanded with a sander by hand, not sand blasted. If after sanding you have small spots of rust blast them carefully.

I've been really impressed with soda blasting for sheet metal, removes everything but the rust. Faster, better, and easier, but not any cheaper than chemical striper.

Grigg


•1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
•1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
•1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
I have been blasting or sometimes had it blasted since the 70's.
Cars, tractors, gas pumps,wheels,glass for etching, all with great results.
The only thing I don't like about it is where the sand will end up. If there is a crevice or hole or anything within distance of blasting the sand will end up there.
If I was to do my truck still together I would expect to find the sand in the doors, under the dash,in the A pillar pocket unless I take the effort to block where I don't want sand to go.
I've always liked the results but you have to have someplace to do it and it's messy. Now inside a blasting cabinet it's much nicer.
Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles

Moderated by  69Cuda, Super55 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0