Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,109 Posts1,056,269 Members48,439 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 | This is my first 3800, it has 4, 8/17, split rims w/junk tires.I don't think I want to run these 'cause of cost to put new tires on them and not having a matched spare. I found some 8L,aftermarket,16.5,wagonspoke,one-piece steel rims that appear to have the proper offset to clear the tie rod ends and still fit over those huck drums. These were aquired, gratis, from grateful clients and friends over the last couple of years, so i'm not out much if they're unsuitable. I would like to run full moons, but I can't find them in 16.5. I have a new set of full moons in press-on 16", but 16" rims, it looks like, won't fit my truck. A few questions, Since I don't have a 16" rim to check the fit, would someone know if they do? Does anyone know if the 17" split-rims are worth anything for trade purposes? Are 16.5 full moons even available? Also,a kind of related topic,I think I read somewhere in the archives that it's OK to remove the 2 smallest leaf springs on each corner from a 1 ton without jeopardizing saftey, I never want to load this truck with anything near a ton, just want a little softer and lower ride. Any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
| | | | | Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Oct 2003 Posts: 5,152 | My first thought is that 16.5 tires are hard to find. I'd confirm tire availability before investing any trouble into these wheels.
1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more... It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble... | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | That is true, 16.5s are getting very hard to get. Most tire shop don't even stock them anymore. We don't at the shop I work at. If the truck isn't a dual wheel model, 16" rims should fit just fine. Used to run around with a guy that had a '49 1 ton, that's what he put on it. Used 7.00-16 bias ply tires on it. If you're not 100% worried about an authentic look, I would suggest either a 235/85/16 or a 245/75/16, which are very easy to get.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2002 Posts: 9,115 | I run 16" rims on my 1 Ton. My tires are from a special run by Yokohama. They are much like a LT 7.50 tire but they are tubeless radials. The 235/85/16s will give you the same setup but with a wider tread.
There are 16" rims from the 70s that will work. They are usually of a 6" width and a backset of no more than 4". the OEM style trailer rims fit perfectly. They are a little bit heavier than the normal wheels but they work just fine. | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 | Thank you for the info. We had a couple of days of T-storm and much needed rain that curtailed progress on the truck. I hope to hit the local junkyards for some 16" rims today. I'm also turning a new shaft for the master cyl./brake pedal linkage so I can put all that back together and start plumbing the lines! Funny, what excites me these days! (read: Old Fart) I just looked at the old split-rim tires and they read 7" by 17", just to correct myself, in case someone was interested. The 16.5s were free, (I guess now, I know why, Ha Ha. Learn somthin' every day!) Lot's more questions and conversations coming in the future, Thank you all again, For now, back to work. 'muck'
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
| | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 | Hey, I was just reading in parts for sale, someone is selling tailgate chains & covers. I had a relationship with a local company as a vendor for O.E.M. parts to be manufactured by me for their tailgate vehicles.I had to purchase hooks from a vendor they already used and sew straps instead of chains, to sell to them as a complete part. The straps had to be 1" poly w/4000lbs. tensile capacity which the engineers and I tested, after sewing,(hook & strap) to 2000 lbs before any discernable varience from print. The company moved from here, to somewhere in the Carolinas, some years ago. We sold maybe 1 or 2 orders to them after the move until I didn't hear from them any more. I was left with a couple hun. hooks and quite a bit of webbing so I made a set for my trucks which have held up very well. Would anyone like to get rid of those chains and go to straps? I stiched a stainless eye-bolt to one end to bolt to the truck, and slipped an innertube as a cover over the strap, nice clean look, without looking unlike O.E.M. to much. I could do the same for anyone with a stepside tailgate. I'm not sure what the 5/16 eyebolts cost but the strap/ hooks/ sewing is cheap!
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
| | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 544 | You stated that as long as it isn't a dual setup, they would work. What would work if it is a dual wheel setup? | | | | | Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: May 2006 Posts: 8,351 | The dual wheel trucks used larger brakes on the rear. 16" rims won't clear the rear drums. IIRC, they used 18' rims on the dual wheel trucks, most guys sre using 19.5s as replacements because of easy availability for proper rated replacemnt tires.
Bill Burmeister | | | | | Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Aug 2005 Posts: 12 | I went with new Pacer wheels. Here are the specs. Go to http://www.pacerwheels.com Select RWD and you will see the wheel that is on my truck. Click on it and it will give the detail below and more. Pacer part number is 161M-6781 Wheel size is 16X7 Bolt circle is 8X6.5 Backspacing is 3.62 inches The most important thing is the backspacing. Most newer wheels are designed to fit over discs and have a deep dish. These old trucks require a shallow back spacing to avoid hitting the idler arm in front. The back wheels could be different I suppose. You would just have to try. If you don't want new wheels just look for some with a shallow back space measurement. Bill | | | | | Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 Apprentice | | Apprentice Joined: Aug 2009 Posts: 12 | The other day I went to a local junkyard just to see how many 8L rims they had and how many $ they would expect. I found a fair amount of 8Ls, all pretty recent vintage. So, I went home and made a jig out of corrugated cardboard, sort of a go-nogo guage, that tells me,rim size(15,16,16.5,etc.), offset(3-5.5"by.125"), center hole dia.(min.-max.), bolt pattern(yes-no),and trueness(un-bent). My tie rod end is 4.625" from the outside drum plane. A 4.5 " back offset will clear by only an eighth, too close for me, so a 4" or slightly less back offset on a 7" is fine. The trailer rims, mentioned above,in steel, can be had at the local Farm & Barn with the offset I desire, special-order (time & $$$). I'm still going to exhaust all options at the scrapyards before going that route. More later, thanx for the input, I'll stay in touch, Muck
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
| | |
| |