The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (MNSmith, Otto Skorzeny), 92 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,130
Posts1,056,717
Members48,454
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Is this possible/readily doable?

I'm not too serious abouyt doing this as my '46 is a very complete original example, but I must admit I AM curious if this is possible? Is it just fenders, headlights, grill, possibly radiator support? Or is there more to it? Do the running board from the '46 not work with the earlier body? Other considerations?

I like my truck but I gotta admit I LOVE the look of the prior body style. Any advice and espeically pictures or a link would be appreciated.

Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Well Dan, I think you'll find that the 46 cab is different than the 39. I don't belive that any of the front sheet metal will fit without a lot of fab work. A lot more work than you may want to do.

If you really want a 39, sell the 46 and buy a 39. Just my $0.02.

George

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
George,
Thanks for the info. No, I wont be selling my '46 for awhile. I really like the way it looks and feels. Its just that I've always admired the '39-40 Chevy trucks; honestly just as much as I've admired the '40 Ford look, one of my favorites. I was wondering since I am new to the older-than-'47 trucks and had no idea their cabs were different too.

Again, thanks for the info. Dan

Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
R
'Bolter
'Bolter
R Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 2,989
You just need to buy a '39 for your SECOND truck!!! grin grin dance


Rich
1947 Loadmaster
1947 Chev. Loadmaster
1959 Chev. Viking 40

Life is short--eat dessert first!
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
4
'Bolter
'Bolter
4 Offline
Joined: Mar 2000
Posts: 784
Rich, Two trucks. I like it. Great idea. thumbs_up

Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
K
'Bolter
'Bolter
K Offline
Joined: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,048
I'm pretty sure GM added room to the cab interior in '41 by pushing the firewall forward about an inch and a half. Not sure what this means to any interchangeability


1941 Chevy Master 3/4-Ton
In the Gallery
More images in the Bolt Bucket

Born to fish, the truck is only a hobby.
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
B
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
B Offline
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 1,897
Well, I believe it is possible to put the 39-40 sheetmetal on a 46 frame. The wheelbase is a wee bit longer on the 41-46 trucks, and so are the running boards. The difference in length is probably under the cab, and not before the firewall. It may take some figuring, but anything can be done with time and money.

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
"....and money". Therein lies the problem. I don't need THREE trucks. I already have a huge crew cab 4x4. Guess when I finish my '46 I'll have to sell it at a profit (ROLFAO) and buy a '39!

By the way, my EZ Wiring kit arrived yesterday and delivered it to the shop rewiring it. They'll likely start tomorrow but may wait til Monday. I ordered an Odyssey 925 battery, hold down and cutoff switch for it today. I'll post a separate thread on it once some work gets done. It's gonna be excellent to have it done and know it's done right.


Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0