| |
Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | |
2 members (dt235sd, Peggy M),
76
guests, and
2
robots. | | Key: Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod | | | Forums66 Topics128,130 Posts1,056,713 Members48,454 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 | Is this possible/readily doable?
I'm not too serious abouyt doing this as my '46 is a very complete original example, but I must admit I AM curious if this is possible? Is it just fenders, headlights, grill, possibly radiator support? Or is there more to it? Do the running board from the '46 not work with the earlier body? Other considerations?
I like my truck but I gotta admit I LOVE the look of the prior body style. Any advice and espeically pictures or a link would be appreciated. | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 | Well Dan, I think you'll find that the 46 cab is different than the 39. I don't belive that any of the front sheet metal will fit without a lot of fab work. A lot more work than you may want to do. If you really want a 39, sell the 46 and buy a 39. Just my $0.02. George | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 | George, Thanks for the info. No, I wont be selling my '46 for awhile. I really like the way it looks and feels. Its just that I've always admired the '39-40 Chevy trucks; honestly just as much as I've admired the '40 Ford look, one of my favorites. I was wondering since I am new to the older-than-'47 trucks and had no idea their cabs were different too.
Again, thanks for the info. Dan | | | | | Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jul 2004 Posts: 2,989 | | | | | | Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2000 Posts: 784 | Rich, Two trucks. I like it. Great idea.  | | | | | Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Nov 2005 Posts: 1,048 | I'm pretty sure GM added room to the cab interior in '41 by pushing the firewall forward about an inch and a half. Not sure what this means to any interchangeability | | | | | Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Dec 2004 Posts: 1,897 | Well, I believe it is possible to put the 39-40 sheetmetal on a 46 frame. The wheelbase is a wee bit longer on the 41-46 trucks, and so are the running boards. The difference in length is probably under the cab, and not before the firewall. It may take some figuring, but anything can be done with time and money. | | | | | Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 Wrench Fetcher | | Wrench Fetcher Joined: Nov 2008 Posts: 101 | "....and money". Therein lies the problem. I don't need THREE trucks. I already have a huge crew cab 4x4. Guess when I finish my '46 I'll have to sell it at a profit (ROLFAO) and buy a '39!
By the way, my EZ Wiring kit arrived yesterday and delivered it to the shop rewiring it. They'll likely start tomorrow but may wait til Monday. I ordered an Odyssey 925 battery, hold down and cutoff switch for it today. I'll post a separate thread on it once some work gets done. It's gonna be excellent to have it done and know it's done right. | | |
| |
| |