The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
1 members (Opelika Tom), 115 guests, and 1 robot.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,134
Posts1,056,402
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#564595 08/13/2009 5:05 AM
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Hi, can anyone tell me if you MUST change the 6 volt starter/solenoid when you change to 12 volt system using the ONE WIRE alternator,or can you just change to a 12 volt solenoid and keep the 6 volt starter? I've also changed from points to Pertronix. Thanks, Bruce

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Bruce,

Some people refer to the mechanical, foot starter, as a mechanical solenoid. Are you referring to an electrical solenoid?

If it is electrical, it must be from a passenger car, since 6v electrical solenoids were not used on trucks (except for the 53-55 Hydra-Matic equipped trucks - a starter that might not work properly attached to manual transmission flywheel and clutch housing).

Someone who knows about the 6v automobile solenoid/starter will most likely soon post a helpful answer (certainly more helpful than my answer has been).

Tim


Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
Thanks!! I do not have a foot starter,it was removed prior to me buying it. It has an 2 terminal ignition switch and a push button to start it .

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Use the whole 6 volt starter/selenoid.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
'Bolter
'Bolter
Joined: Mar 2002
Posts: 9,115
This is really an interesting one. We have all heard that you can run the 6V stomp starter on 12 volts. What about a 6V solenoid? I would have my doubts about it surviving 12 V for very long.


1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed


My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
A
'Bolter
'Bolter
A Offline
Joined: Jul 2004
Posts: 5,708
That solenoid is really going to pop in with a whole bunch of vigor. I would be more concerned about the ring gear or the starter drive proper. Keep us posted on this one. smile

Stuart

Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Jun 2009
Posts: 23
you can use the 6v solinoid with 12v it is hard on it an will burn on extent photobucketball48pu ed cranking starer will spin faster

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
I put on a stock starter and a new 12 volt solenoid and now it's fine !!!!! Thanks for all of your help guys, Bruce

Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Joined: Sep 2001
Posts: 29,269

Bruce,

To help other people asking about this in the future, would you please post the type of "stock starter" (truck or passenger; 6v or 12v; foot-actuated or electric-solenoid actuated; year, if you know) you used and the part number for the solenoid. We can infer from your posts that your flywheel is for a 6v vehicle?

Tim

Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 40
OK, the starter part#is 1107109 4B2.NO FOOT PEDAL The solenoid is a 12volt. It had to be mounted so the big copper terminals are verticle.I'll find out the part# for the solenoid. STAY TUNED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!NOW I'D LIKE TO KNOW if I can hook my starter button battery terminal to the battery terminal on the headlight switch and if so,why, if I have the key on and the motor OFF, if I turn my headlight switch to brighten or dim the dash lights the motor wants to start as if I were pressing on the button??????????? Once again I appeal to the STOVEBOLT ELDERS, Thanks!!!

Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
G
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
G Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 502
I would say you can hook the starter button bat terminal to the light switch incoming pos.lead connection if the gauge of that wire can handle the current draw.
Not being able to see how its wired I can only guess that you may have the button wired in series with the light switch.
Make sure you wired the button to the 12v source at the light switch. That would be the wire that is hot coming to the switch.

Dan


Remember your freedom - US Veterans provided it.
101st Screaming Eagles
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
T
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
T Offline
Joined: Jun 2006
Posts: 687
HUMMMM!!!!! Sounds as thow you have hooked up your push button to the wrong terminal on the headlamp switch. If it were mine and I didn't want stomp start. I would put on a 12v starter and solenoid, then install an ignition switch with a start circuit.
But then again if I had a stomp starter I would leave it alone cause they are so cool.


I didn't do it, no one saw me do it, you can't prove anything! "Bart Simpson"

Moderated by  Jon G, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0