The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
3 members (NAPCOStormTrpr, Lightholder's Dad, Gdads51), 82 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,076
Posts1,056,280
Members48,441
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#561880 08/04/2009 3:12 AM
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Anyone know if a 1962 chevy 1/2 ton longbox stepside is a rare item,,,if it is,,how rare and what would the aproximate value be,,,( no, its not for sale ) Just trying to decide on rodding it or a restoration....Just want to know what i have before i go and cut it up. It is all original,other than a bad rattle can paint job. 235 6,,about 60000 original miles, normal rust, bottoms of fenders and corners of front fenders,,all easily repaired.. floor is completelty rust free!!Even has bias ply tube type tires from around 1970 or so in the front. Still in good shape. Truck was bought as a farm truck, then the owner died and it was parked in a barn for about 20 years. It was then sold to a high school kid who did the usual wear and tear. At least he didnt try to work on it! still original!!

Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
F
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
F Offline
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 12,029
62's are not "rare" - rod or restore it as you prefer, either way it'll be worth what someone will pay, which will be about half what you spend on it wink

Bill


Moved over to the Passing Lane

"When we tug a single thing in nature, we find it attached to the rest of the world" ~ John Muir
"When we tug a single thing on an old truck, we find it falls off" ~ me
Some TF series details & TF heater pics
Flxible #561890 08/04/2009 3:26 AM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
D
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 355
lol if you building it for profit you definately missing the point of rodding


1937 1/2 ton
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
Not gonna sell,,, she is mine...sort of atached as you may know....

not missing any point,, just part of making an important decision...Rod or Restore...

Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
F
New Guy
New Guy
F Offline
Joined: Aug 2009
Posts: 7
They only tell me the longbox stepside is a rare item on a half ton...
The 62...

Last edited by fredgos 62 chevy; 08/04/2009 3:57 AM.
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Extreme Gabster
Extreme Gabster
Joined: May 2001
Posts: 7,438
Your link didn't work so I couldn't see it but my suggestion will be the same any way.

I'd advise you to get it safe and drive it. After you drive it a while you'll have a better idea of what you want out of a truck. You might decide you like putting around on country roads in an old truck. I sure do. I don't want power brakes, power steering, IFS and all that. Driving the truck takes me back to a different, and I think better, time.


"It's just a phase. He'll grow out of it." Mama, 1964

1956 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
1953 Chevy 6100 "The Yard dog"
1954 GMC Suburban Now with a new proud owner.
Cletis #564062 08/11/2009 4:05 PM
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 210
4
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
4 Offline
Joined: May 2008
Posts: 210
I am all for the restore! But it is presonal preference. I hate watching shows like overhaulin when they take an awesome truck and chop it or something. Mine is not original but I at least want it to look as close to original as possible.

Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
O
New Guy
New Guy
O Offline
Joined: Jul 2009
Posts: 9
They are right, drive it for awhile and she'll tell you what she want's. She was free how can you go wrong?

oem54 #564117 08/11/2009 8:00 PM
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
T
Ex Hall Monitor
Ex Hall Monitor
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2005
Posts: 6,377
I'm a restore kind of guy. You own a piece of history and turning it into something it's not in wrong IMHO. If you're wanting a street rod put a glass body on a modern chassis. You'll end up spending less money and have a more road worthy vehicle when you're done. While I have made a couple of bolt-on (easily changed back) concessions to modern convenience, part of the joy to me of owning my 38 is driving her the way she was born, warts and all. grin


Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Tiny #565020 08/14/2009 5:53 PM
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
D
'Bolter
'Bolter
D Offline
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 309
I'm with Tiny. Just took my '51 GMC in to get tires balanced. The guy at the shop (who I've known for quite a while) was telling me I needed to put radials on it instead of bias-ply tires. When I told him I wanted the truck to drive like it did in 1951 he jokingly called me an "old timer" (I'm 53). Be that as it may, I like the feeling of driving a vehicle that's pretty much as it was when designed and built.

David Bush

David Bush #565095 08/14/2009 10:48 PM
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 67
L
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
L Offline
Joined: Aug 2007
Posts: 67
Way to score. KEEP IT ORIGINAL!!! They are not making these trucks any more. Thats my two bits. I would rather see a old farm truck in its work cloths than a low rider with a $30000 paint job. Yes it is amazing waht they can do to these old trucks. But like David iam a "old timer" ,but iam only 30. So i say restore!


1947 1Ton stepside
1962 K20 Fleetside
1962 C40 12' flatbed
1963 C10 Stepside
1963 C20 Fleetside
1965 C10 Stepside (Daily Driver)
1973 C20 Stepside fire truck
1973 C50 Utility truck Houston Power & Light
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
D
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
D Offline
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 101
Oh PLEASE, allow me to retort (I always wanted to use that line out of "Pulp Fiction"

I am 54-1/2 (it's like when you were "9-3/4" and wanted to be cloe to 10. I DON'T want to be 55!).

But seriously, my $.02 is that this is a hobby. Do WHATEVER makes you happy. There is nothing truly "historic" about these old trucks. There may be with a select one, or to an individual with a family history involving a certain truck. For the rest of us, they are mostly our pastimes. They're not Faberge eggs or Duncan-Phife tables, they were work trucks and mostly now they are not. If it gives you a charge and makes you feel like Farmer John to have a painted grill and load boards on the sides, do it. If it makes me feel like the John Milner character out of "American Grafitti" to put a 350/350 and billet this and that on mine, I'll do that. Simple.

Personally, I think real car guys LOVE cars. For the most part we don't care how they're done as long as the other guy has passion for it and exercises his vision well.

I wouldn't own a low rider or a tuner car but I do NOT believe is speaking ill of another man's ride anymore than I'd speak ill of his woman. I don't think "real" car guys tlk schit about nother guy's car. I have seen cars I thought showed a lot of thought, effort and excellent taste, albeit not MY taste.

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 08/16/2009 10:34 PM.

Moderated by  Gdads51 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0