Click on image for the lowdown. 
====
| | | Forums66 Topics128,100 Posts1,056,514 Members48,448 | | Most Online14,466 Apr 26th, 2026 | | AD Chevy Trucks Over 6,000 pictures Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips. Check them out!
Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!
| | THANKS!
For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for over 30 years! and not clogged down with Ads! Again, thanks! | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | | | | | | Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 Extreme Gabster | | Extreme Gabster Joined: May 2001 Posts: 7,438 | | | | | | Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2008 Posts: 829 | Wow! That is one tough looking beast, Ken.  | | | | | Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Apr 2003 Posts: 942 | Nice looking Heavy Wrecker. Looks like it's got Air Brakes. I also noticed the Budd Wheels. Was it originally a West Coast truck? Looks like you also picked up a 292 Chevy.
Bill
'60-'72 Chev/GMC Fan GMC 9500 Fan Detroit Diesel Fan
| | | | | Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 195 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: Feb 2007 Posts: 195 |  Nice!
Red meat is not bad for you.........Fuzzy green meat is bad for you!
"What happens in the garage stays in the garage!"
1958 Chevy Spartan 100 firetruck in the Gallery
| | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | It has air brakes. The truck came with Dayton (spoke) wheels but someone must have changed both axles at some time because the ratio is for a Diesel and it would run 100 mph with the V8 gas burner. The wheels are actually hub piloted which means that they aren't too old. I have a parts truck also on straight air with Daytons and I am going to swap both axles. I think it spent its entire life on the East Coast. I want it to look similar to this when I'm done. http://picasaweb.google.com/crenwelgeoil/MyDocuments#5368146254965267442 The engine is a 270 GMC which I had bought some time ago in South Carolina. I want to put it into a 55 GMC that has a rather tired 248. I
Last edited by crenwelge; 08/10/2009 3:17 AM.
| | | | | Joined: May 2009 Posts: 117 Shop Shark | | Shop Shark Joined: May 2009 Posts: 117 | nice iron ... please get more pics of that beauty, i would love to the that back end close up  | | | | | Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 91 New Guy | | New Guy Joined: Mar 2009 Posts: 91 | THAT IS A 5 WINDOW CAB!!! holy crap! you have a flippin rare duck on your hands there!! can you send me more pics of the rear windows, the dividers, and under the hood? Thanks!!! | | | | | Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 Cruising in the Passing Lane | | Cruising in the Passing Lane Joined: Feb 2002 Posts: 12,029 | yes blevins,rare, but not quite flippin - the 5-9 GMC's did have that 5 window configuration on larger trucks, it has the 'usual' big window opening with a couple blank panels inserted ... interesting configuration, but try to find replacement back glass glass removed and just a cab - note the middle glass is full height, not like the small window glass .... I've seen pics of a number of them, including one someone put on a 1/2T Bill | | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | The GMC 5-window was an option and was only available on the big trucks. This configuration helped stiffen the cab and reduce flex. Most of these cabs also had the door alignment wedges which prevented the door from opening when the frame twisted and flexed. Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | A few more pictures of the 57 GMC wrecker. We finally had a day in Texas cool enough that I felt like getting out and unloading it. Clicking the right button will show 12 pictures we took today. http://picasaweb.google.com/crenwel...6KG8-e3vEQ&pli=1#5375134075138681634
Last edited by crenwelge; 08/28/2009 10:59 PM.
| | | | | Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Mar 2004 Posts: 6,214 | Thanks for sharing the pictures. It's nice to have HEAVY equipment around for unloading stuff. Looks like the motor is fresh...has it been rebuilt or just painted? Mike B  | | | | | Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 'Bolter | | 'Bolter Joined: Jan 2008 Posts: 4,962 | The engine was well worn when I bought it. After talking with the guy in PA that bought it from I found out he is only a year younger than I am and has been building engines all his life. He is retired from Mack Trucks and has much more time than I have. We put new pistons, cam and lifters and bearings in it. He did itjust like I would have done it myself and it sounds just like new. | | |
| |