The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
2 members (2-Ton, Peggy M), 151 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,105
Posts1,056,538
Members48,448
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#56177 02/08/2006 1:03 AM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
Still a newbie here. I've got this '39 that needs reborn in the worst way. I've been doing the normal dream thing, trying to decide what to do with it. Initially, I had hope of a 302 w/4sp, and a few other improvements. Then, the other day, I'm settin' at the stop sign, waiting to make a turn, and there it sat. eek 1977 1/2 ton long bed chevy with 350/350, PS PB etc. Hmmm..
Well $300 later it's in my driveway. I figger, this way I can drive the motor for a while to work out the "kinks" before it drops into the '39. Then I think, can the tranny go in too? and the steering column? and the some power steering stuff? and maybe cut the bed floor down to put in the bottom of mine? and.... How far can I go with this? Unfortunately, you could throw a cat threw the bedsides and it wouldn't even scream, but the mechanical parts seem good. What do ya think? grin

Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
J
24601
24601
J Offline
Joined: Nov 1995
Posts: 5,727
Ductape -- the short answer is that you can do anything with a big enough hammer or enough cash.

The other answer is that this thread might be better off in the engine and driveline forum wink

Regards,
John


~ John

A kid raised on Hotwheels, Matchbox and Tonka cannot be reasonably expected to own only one vehicle as an adult.

1949 Chevrolet 3804
In the Legacy Gallery | In the Gallery Forum
1973 IH 1310 Dump
1963 Kaiser M38A1
2001 International/AmTran RE3000 "Skoolie"
2014 Ford E-350 4x4 (Quigley)
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 31
B
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
B Offline
Joined: Mar 2004
Posts: 31
Hey ductape, would you be interested in getting rid of any parts off that '77 if you still have it?

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
Sure, I've still got it. This wasn't intended to be a "driveline" question. It is an "anything and everything off another vehicle" question. Guages, wheels, wiring harness, anything to save a buck. I guess John Milliman is right though....with a big enough hammer. I was wondering just how much made sense to move over, and how much I should just look elsewhere for. It started with the motor thing, and then it grew, 10 sizes, plus two!

Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
Cruising in the Passing Lane
O Offline
Joined: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,152
Well I don't want to sound like a pre-Christmas Grinch, but you're talking about a lot of work here.

And its not just the parts swapping you are talking about, but fully answering your question...

The challenge with a general question like this is that most people who might respond only know part of the answer at best. You might do better to ask specific questions in forums where the people who know are likely to be watching.

Mounting the 350/350 combo in your '39 isn't a real big trick. The most challenging part if the steering box/exhaust interference issue.

However there are power steering conversions for '47-'59 trucks that use the steering box from your '77 parts truck. You might be able to find a similar kit for a '39, or perhaps adapt the later kit to the '39? Converting to power steering that way fixes the exhaust interference problem.

The power brakes on the '77 proably use a firewall mounted vacuum booster. If so the booster is too large to mount under the floor on the '39 and would be ugly mounted on the '39s firewall.

The track width on both ends of the '77 are too wide to fit easily under the '39. Takes a huge hammer to make them work...

As for the bed floor, ask in the body work forum. For the guages and wiring harness, drop those questions over in electrical.


1955 1st GMC Suburban | 1954 GMC 250 trailer puller project | 1954 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic | 1954 Chevy 3100 . 1947 Chevy COE | and more...
It's true. I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
D
Junior Member
Junior Member
D Offline
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 15
Good advice OldSub. Gives me a place to start. Thanks

Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
B
'Bolter
'Bolter
B Offline
Joined: May 2004
Posts: 1,312
I have a 327 /350 combo in my '40 - fits well. Need custom motor mounts, and transmission support - not a big deal to get fabbed up.


1940 Chevy KC 1/2-Ton
In the Stovebolt Gallery

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0