The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | Tech Tips | Gallery | FAQ | Events | Features | Search
Help is a click away!

VEHICLE
INFORMATION
KITS


at the

GM Heritage Center
All the details are here.

Searching the Site - a click away
click here to search
New here ??? Where to start?
Click on image for the lowdown. Where do I go around here?
====
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 177 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums66
Topics128,113
Posts1,056,619
Members48,450
Most Online14,466
Apr 26th, 2026
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Brad Allen's photos

AD Chevy Trucks

Pictures galore
Over 6,000 pictures

Brad Allen has an awesome collection of Chevrolet factory pictures that he has set up from film strips.

Check them out!

Lots of work on Brad's part ... pure enjoyment (and references) for you!

Big Thanks!

THANKS!

For helping keep this great
old truck web site
on the Internet for

over 30 years!

and not clogged down
with Ads!


Again, thanks!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
T
Wrench Fetcher
Wrench Fetcher
T Offline
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 31
Have a chance to buy a decent 1951 Dodge 1/2 T. but engine has cracked block. What are my options for a replacement engine? Are there other choices for direct bolt-in? I have worked primarily on Chevys in the past, need help with a Dodge.

Thanks for info--TK261

Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
W
Riding in the Passing Lane
Riding in the Passing Lane
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2004
Posts: 8,597
Any Dodge or ply. engine around that era will fit. I'm not sure of the exact coverage but it is very wide. The Desoto & Crys. engines are a litle longer but guys used to change them.


They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.
1972 Chevy c10 Cheyenne Super
In the Gallery Forum
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
C
'Bolter
'Bolter
C Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 4,962
Chrysler industrial engines will work too. I sold one out of a combine last year when scrap got so high. You can probably buy a whole car or just haul one for what the engine is worth. If its fluid drive, I think it had a different crankshaft flange.

Last edited by crenwelge; 08/01/2009 11:35 PM.
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
J
'Bolter
'Bolter
J Offline
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 1,377
Alot of tow motors and airline equipment used those motors too.

Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
L
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
L Offline
Joined: Nov 2002
Posts: 1,002
Wrenchbender Ret. got it right, I put a 59 plymouth in a 38 Dodge truck many years ago. Inliners.org has Mopar forum here's a post on industrial engines;

http://www.inliners.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showthreaded&Number=48561

If the cracks not bad drive it.

LG


I don't own a vehicle that isn't old enough to drink.
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 42
W
'Bolter
'Bolter
W Offline
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 42
On that Dodge-- My Father in Law had a 3/4 ton, and wanted more power. Look for a 6cyl Chrysler, to make it fit it was necessary to reverse the pan (to clear the axle) and the Oil pump. I wasn't there when he did it but it worked.


gene bryson
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
H
Shop Shark
Shop Shark
H Offline
Joined: Jul 2006
Posts: 707
Where is the crack in your old engine? I have a 16" horizontal crack in my truck's original engine, probably caused by frost some winter long, long ago. It looks like it was welded around the time I was born, and the engine works well. Just a thought...


1951 3800

Be the change you want to see.
-hotshoe

Moderated by  Phak1, Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 8.0.0